Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you guide me????

I am in H1 visa and doing first year residency in medicine.i am married and > 21 years old.
    just recently my mother got green card through my brothers(a citizen) sponsoership.
    Do i file a petition for green card from mothers part or wait for finishing residency and apply for it after getting a job.
    i am confused kindly advise.

I am in H1 visa and doing first year residency in medicine.i am married and > 21 years old.
    just recently my mother got green card through my brothers(a citizen) sponsoership.
    Do i file a petition for green card from mothers part or wait for finishing residency and apply for it after getting a job.
    i am confused kindly advise.

Comment

Don't believe your mother can sponsor you until she becomes a citizen. Checked the USCIS website, and don't even see a category for married children of LPRs.
      From the website:
      The relative you wish to immigrate must obtain an immigrant visa number that is based on the preference category in which they fall.

People who want to become immigrants are classified into categories based on a preference system. The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, which includes parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once the visa petition filed for them is approved by the USCIS. An immigrant visa number will be immediately available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. Click here for information on obtaining an immigrant visa number if you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. The relatives in the remaining categories must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available according to the following preferences:

First Preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.

Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, their unmarried children (under twenty-one), and the unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.

Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.

Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens.

Comment

Hey doc...

it will be too long if you want to go through your mother's petition after her becoming US Citizen..

your best bet is to finish residency and apply for a job at hospital and they will sponsor your green card...Good luck with residency...Pasha

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation