Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Point: Assimilation

In the debate about illegal aliens and immigration in general, we hear a lot about the ability of other cultures to assimilate to the American way of life and the reluctance to abandon the immigrants culture. Recently, we've seen statistics posted on what immigrant groups assimilate best.

While I'm well aware of the issues surrounding language issues etc, I'm very curious as to what extent people believe that an immigrant should alter themselves in order to 'fit in'.

Should they abandon their previous lives completely or is there some leeway?
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

In the debate about illegal aliens and immigration in general, we hear a lot about the ability of other cultures to assimilate to the American way of life and the reluctance to abandon the immigrants culture. Recently, we've seen statistics posted on what immigrant groups assimilate best.

While I'm well aware of the issues surrounding language issues etc, I'm very curious as to what extent people believe that an immigrant should alter themselves in order to 'fit in'.

Should they abandon their previous lives completely or is there some leeway?
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aroha:

Should they abandon their previous lives completely or is there some leeway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent talking point Aroha and I am sure there will be a lot of very lively debate on this subject. I myself am too darn tired to comment intelligently on this right now...
      Thanks & Best Wishes

Dave W

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done". -George

Comment

In my opinion, no immigrant should disregard their origin, culture or ethnicity. The land of opportunity, so now called a melting pot, has been built on that premise. The real Americans were the Native Indians but their own land was taken away from them by the Europeans and the immigration started.

However, every immigrant to this country should adapt the American culture and language and blend in. There shall be no exception to it. I really hate when our own Government and big corporations provide instructions in English and Spanish. Why should we provide instructions in Spanish when English is the official language? This is a discriminatory process because Hispanics are not the only immigrant in this country. True, they are the only high number from an illegal immigrant's perspective. If we start adapting such dual standards, then why not provide instructions in other languages such as Russian, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Every immigrant who migrates to USA should respect American culture, should blend in or voluntarily leave the country instead of bad mouthing it, should contribute to the economy by making an honest living and paying taxes, should speak English and if not capable take classes to learn it, should do good to help others when in need, etc.

Also, if hottie, then should flirt with me openly
        I am not racist. I am not anti-immigrant. I am AGAINST CRIMINALS, FRAUDSTERS, WHO DISOBEY THE LAW, BREAK THE LAW AND PERPETRATE THE FRAUD.

You may not like what I have to say but that does not mean I am wrong.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">While I'm well aware of the issues surrounding language issues etc, I'm very curious as to what extent people believe that an immigrant should alter themselves in order to 'fit in'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just be yourself girlfriend!!You'll be more respected if you believe in who you are and what you are. America is the land of all cultures.It's an amazing experience getting to know each culture!

Along the way you'll encounter some arrogant
          people who thinks they are superior.. well just "eat them alive lol!" But to be honest with you ,majority here are really very nice.

English is the main language for communication
          in different accents thou lol.

only one thing... got to warn you on this...
          when your plane is about to land and you hear
          " Welcome to United States of America" that means you adopted an uncle! Uncle Sam!

Comment

This is related to accession

Comment

Or the rule against perpetuities maybe

Comment

This isn't about the spelling thing, is it? LOL
                --------------------
                "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. " - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Great Topic! unfortunately i Also am too tired To Be of much Use This evening Stiring The Ideas.

Ill Be Back!
                  USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Comment

I am being serious here, SOM. No need to try and derail it.

And I'm not asking for myself. I know I'll have no problems fitting in. I come from a western culture, English is my first language, and well, we're inundated with American tv and movies. The things I'm going to have difficulty with aren't ... well, they're not so much cultural differences.

I was mostly just curious, as we have a lot of very strong minds around here with lots of different opinions. Figured it could get interesting

Comment

I am a big fan of diversity and love learning about all the various cultures that exist in the USA. It makes this country very unique and rich. Immigrants should be able to blend their cultures into their new American lifestyle without fear of being looked down upon.

With that being said, I do feel that immigrants should make an attempt to learn the English language. Since it is the United States and English is the major language spoken here, it should be given some priority to learn it. I don't have a problem so much with other languages being spoken around me, but when it becomes a customer service issue, then it can be be a problem. I realize that the older immigrants have more trouble learning a new language, but if people choose to come to America and live and work here, they need to at least know enough to get by. If I had to move to a country where no English was spoken, I wouldn't expect that country to cater to my poor language skills. I would have to step up and try and learn the language.

Comment

Im sitting Out on the upper deck Cringing While The Sudanese family Next door. there Children Of ages 2 - 6 Play in the street on a very dangerous Corner of road. Maybe in Parts of sudan It is Normal? Ok? Here You Can lose Your Children, Their Lives, And The lives of The Rest.

Different Lifestyles can Be Dangerous In USA. and other places as well.

If I went To live in Another Place i would Try To Fit in, Follow Their rules and ways of the culture. If you come to USA and Don't Try. It Affects Not Only Self But others as Well.
                        USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Comment

Is that a cultural difference though, MIR?

Though, to be fair, there are things I do here that I won't be doing in the US. Here, I sleep with my windows open. I go out and leave my door unlocked. I don't always lock the car. I walk to the shop at night, alone. Again, is that cultural, or is it just the difference in the neighbourhoods?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aroha:
                            Is that a cultural difference though, MIR?

Though, to be fair, there are things I do here that I won't be doing in the US. Here, I sleep with my windows open. I go out and leave my door unlocked. I don't always lock the car. I walk to the shop at night, alone. Again, is that cultural, or is it just the difference in the neighbourhoods? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I See your point also. However, Many places in USA are just like that Way of your life you speak of. Remember I live in city. Fast Pace. Large Population. Immigrants From All over the World here. I Mentioned Awhile Back the Diversity's even Within the many Cultures. IS TRUE!

Comment

I live in a city too. Technically. LOL.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation