Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage

Hi all. My boyfriend and I want to get married. I'm a U.S. citizen and he is a citizen of Mexico. He does not have a green card. I don't understand all these forms, and registration. And it seems hard and confusing with all the paperwork in the beginning.
    I've been researching, and I just don't understand. Is it possible to marry an illegal? Will it be honored here in the States?

Hi all. My boyfriend and I want to get married. I'm a U.S. citizen and he is a citizen of Mexico. He does not have a green card. I don't understand all these forms, and registration. And it seems hard and confusing with all the paperwork in the beginning.
    I've been researching, and I just don't understand. Is it possible to marry an illegal? Will it be honored here in the States?

Comment

Everything is fine, and he can get a legal status by marriage to you only if he ENTERED THE US LEGALLY. If that is not the case, then he will have to go back to Mexico and you have to file from there. There are some exceptions to the law, but it is under certain situations only. Since i dont know your complete situation i dont know if ur b/f is included in that. You have to becareful cuz if he is caught being here illegal then he will be barred from coming to the US for 10 years, there is no way around that. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you so much, I appreciate it. I'm sorry I seem to have forgotten to say that he is here illegally. So he would just have to get maybe a visa from Mexico?

There really isn't a specific situation, I don't know the rules for what certain situations.

Comment

illegally because of an overstay after legal entry or illegally because of "illegal entry"? This means a world of difference!

Comment

Illegal entry, I apologize.

Comment

AOS is not for you. He needs to return to Mexico, file for a K-1, and I-212. This is going to be a very difficult case providing only a short term relationship exists (less than 2 years). And being just your "boyfriend", if you two never lived together for a considerable period of time, you two never shared expenses or the burden of the household, it's going to be quite the challenge.

Comment

You might want to check http://www.immigrate2us.net
                The folks there seemed to specialized on these type of situation and waivers. Just remember the typical caveat though.

Comment

I thank you all very much.

Comment

You need to contact an attorney and not do this yourself. If your boyfriend is over the age of 18 years plus 6 months and came in without inspection (without being inspected at the border), you can marry him and it will be honored but it won't help him with immigration. He will have to go to Mexico to get his visa and will then be subject to the 3 or 10 year bars. Meaning he won't get back in for several years even though he is married to you. So you need to get an attorney who can explain all of this, look at waivers etc etc.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation