Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

withholding to green card via derivative status (H-1B)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• withholding to green card via derivative status (H-1B)

An immigration judge granted me a 'withholding of deportation' about 4 years ago and I've been working using EAD all these years. My wife, who has an H-1B visa, is in the process of submitting the 485 form, to adjust the status to PR.

If she puts my name down on the 485 form as her spouse, will I be able to get the green card as well?

Thank You

An immigration judge granted me a 'withholding of deportation' about 4 years ago and I've been working using EAD all these years. My wife, who has an H-1B visa, is in the process of submitting the 485 form, to adjust the status to PR.

If she puts my name down on the 485 form as her spouse, will I be able to get the green card as well?

Thank You

Comment

Just writing your name on your wife's Form I-485 doesn't automatically grant you the same permanent residency status. You shall have to file a separate Form I-485 based on your marriage to an EB-AOS applicant.

But then you have to consider that your 'withholding of deportation' is a provisional immigration status pending the issuance by the EOIR of a final determination of your case.

You may try but I suspect that the USCIS officer in whose hands your case would fall may just rebuff your own I-485 application for lack of jurisdiction. Your current immigration status is under DOJ instead of DHS. Anyway, this is just an opinion, ask your wife's lawyer.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation