Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorcing husband - Green card status

I am a legal alien that arrived in the United States in August 2004 through my marriage to my US citizen husband. I have a 2 year temporary green card that requires I apply for permanent status in August 2006.

My situation is that I am now seperated from my husband and will be getting a divorce. Does anyone know if I will still be able to get permanent status when my 2 year temporary green card expires? What should I do?

I came to the United States in good faith, and a genuine marriage. I have plenty of proof that it was a genuine marriage, such as professional videography and photography, over 700 family and friends at the wedding, my husband visited me overseas on three different occasions while we were waiting for my visa to be approved, etc.

Also, does anyone have any idea how much an immigration lawyer would charge for their services on a case such as mine?

All the information and help is highly appreciated.

Thank you, Lily

I am a legal alien that arrived in the United States in August 2004 through my marriage to my US citizen husband. I have a 2 year temporary green card that requires I apply for permanent status in August 2006.

My situation is that I am now seperated from my husband and will be getting a divorce. Does anyone know if I will still be able to get permanent status when my 2 year temporary green card expires? What should I do?

I came to the United States in good faith, and a genuine marriage. I have plenty of proof that it was a genuine marriage, such as professional videography and photography, over 700 family and friends at the wedding, my husband visited me overseas on three different occasions while we were waiting for my visa to be approved, etc.

Also, does anyone have any idea how much an immigration lawyer would charge for their services on a case such as mine?

All the information and help is highly appreciated.

Thank you, Lily

Comment

As soon as your divorce is finalized, you can submit your I-751 to remove conditions. You do not need to wait until August 2006. The I-751 waiver is submitted for those that have divorced. Read the form I-751 for more details. Also, do a search on this forum for Aguila. He is the resident expert on this issue.

Comment

Did you come on a K1 visa? How long did it take to get?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation