Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Law Question: F1 visa AOS but 1098t filed

I am an international student on F1 Visa (entered 2006), I had filed 1098-t twice and IRS sent me $1000 each time(2009 and 2010), I am about to go through change of status marriage-based. My college send me 1098-t form without asking. so I filed it through turbo tax but the 1098-t form never asked me to choose immigration status, like are you a citizen,PR, etc,
    So is this going to affect me negatively? Do IRS and USCIS exchange information? will they find out that I had filed 1098-t?..any help will be very appreciated. Please help!!!!!!

The Agencies these days do tend to share information more than in the past but so long as you haven't mentioned anywhere on the form that you were a USC you should be ok. This is purely a layperson view.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

Originally posted by floatingpoint:
      I am an international student on F1 Visa (entered 2006), I had filed 1098-t twice and IRS sent me $1000 each time(2009 and 2010), I am about to go through change of status marriage-based. My college send me 1098-t form without asking. so I filed it through turbo tax but the 1098-t form never asked me to choose immigration status, like are you a citizen,PR, etc,
      So is this going to affect me negatively? Do IRS and USCIS exchange information? will they find out that I had filed 1098-t?..any help will be very appreciated. Please help!!!!!!
      Hi and welcome to the forum. For future reference, please include the phrase "immigration law question" in your title. This should allow the best advice without the distractions.

As to your question, does IRS and USCIS share information. The answer is yes and no. When you apply for adjustment of status, USCIS will ask for the past three years of your tax return transcripts. It is up to you to provide that information. Thus, in most immigration inquiries, USCIS and IRS do nto share information with each other unless there is a criminal investigation going on by either agency and tax information is warranted under the law. I am not saying you are under investigation, but just pointing out the circumstances in which the IRS shares the information.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Thank you Brit and hudson. Do you think amending the tax is a good idea? or it might cause me more trouble or I should just let it go...

Comment

@The OP, I don't understand why you're worried about filing the 1068-T. Why do you think its against the law for you to have filed it? Im so confused right now

Comment

It's because, now I think i was not eligible to file 1098-t as being on student visa...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation