X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for International Medical student

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen studying at a US medical school. I am currently in my 3rd year of medical school. As I look forward to beginning my residency in the US after my graduation, I am trying to understand the visa options that one has to consider.

Do I need a H-1B or J-1 visa to begin residency in the US? How does one go about the application process? Any help from forum members would be appreciated.

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen studying at a US medical school. I am currently in my 3rd year of medical school. As I look forward to beginning my residency in the US after my graduation, I am trying to understand the visa options that one has to consider.

Do I need a H-1B or J-1 visa to begin residency in the US? How does one go about the application process? Any help from forum members would be appreciated.

Comment

Since you are a Canadia Citizen you will only need to get a offer letter from a hospital (employer). Once you have it you go back to Canada and then return to US either by Air or ground. Once you are being inspected by US Customs present the letter and they will stamp your passport with employment authorization. This is due to NAFTA ( North American free Trade Association) Canadian and US citizens are allowed to work in each others countries as long as they meet minimum requirements and I believe you will meet them due to your MD.

Comment

I'm afraid it's not true. You do need H, J, or TN visa to do residency.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation