X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reentry Permit.

Hi,

I am a DV2006 winner and I am planning to enter US on my green card just to activate it. How long is the minimum period of time I need to stay in order to keep my GC. Also, I need to return to my country of origin and stay there to take care of my old father for about an year or two. Can I apply for reentry permit and if I can how does it work. Will I have time to do it since I am staying only for a short time in USA before I go back?

Any help is greately appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I am a DV2006 winner and I am planning to enter US on my green card just to activate it. How long is the minimum period of time I need to stay in order to keep my GC. Also, I need to return to my country of origin and stay there to take care of my old father for about an year or two. Can I apply for reentry permit and if I can how does it work. Will I have time to do it since I am staying only for a short time in USA before I go back?

Any help is greately appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Dido,

you can apply for a re-entry permit the day you enter the US (providing you get some evidence of your new permanent resident status at POE - a I-515 stamp) or when you receive green card. You can ask on the form for a re-entry permit to be sent to the US embassy in your country. The embassy will contact you when they receive it.

How smart is that? Don't know. In your situation, I would try to establish some ties with the US before leaving: get SSN, open bank account...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation