Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiancee visa help

Sorry everyone if this is repetitive or a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure this out. I want to bring my girlfriend (soon to be fiancee) and her children to the US and need some help. 1) If granted, does the visa take effect the day it is granted (ie, do we have 90 months from that day to get married)? Or, do we have until they come the US? 2) Is there any other way to get them to the States? I'm not sure how quickly I could throw a wedding together and don't want to risk it.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Sorry everyone if this is repetitive or a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure this out. I want to bring my girlfriend (soon to be fiancee) and her children to the US and need some help. 1) If granted, does the visa take effect the day it is granted (ie, do we have 90 months from that day to get married)? Or, do we have until they come the US? 2) Is there any other way to get them to the States? I'm not sure how quickly I could throw a wedding together and don't want to risk it.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Comment

Once the visa is granted your fiancee would have 4 months in which to come to the US. You would then have to marry within 90 days and file for adjustment immediately after (within 30 days I think?) The following links may be helpful.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/imm...marriage2.html

http://www.kamya.com/intro/k-1.html

Comment

Thanks so much for the help and the link. I will definitely check it out.

Comment

You could get married at the court house right away in order to start AOS, then you could take some time to plan your wedding and you wouldn't have to stress about it. I'm sure your fiancee wants to have a part in planning it, like picking out the colors and stuff. A lot of people don't have weddings until a few months (or even years) until after they get married. Wedding planning can be stressful enough without having the added stress of immigration.
          Have a nice day

Comment

USCIS web site
            http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

Background
            If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, then you must file a petition with USCIS on behalf of your fiancé(e). After the petition is approved, your fiancé(e) must obtain a visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad. The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days or your fiancé(e) marries someone other than you (the U.S. citizen filing USCIS Form I-129F - Petition for Alien Fiancé), your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the United States. Until the marriage takes place, your fiancé(e) is considered a nonimmigrant. A nonimmigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose. A fiancé(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original nonimmigrant admission.

If your fiancé(e) intends to live and work permanently in the United States, your fiancé(e) should apply to become a permanent resident after your marriage. (If your fiancé(e) does not intend to become a permanent resident after your marriage, your fiancé(e)/new spouse must leave the country within the 90-day original nonimmigrant admission.) For more information, please see How Do I Become a Legal Permanent Resident While in the United States?. Please note, your fiancé(e) will initially receive conditional permanent residence status for two years. Conditional permanent residency is granted when the marriage creating the relationship is less than two years old at the time of adjustment to permanent residence status. For more information, please see How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?.

Please note: Your fiancé(e) may enter the United States only one time with a fiancé(e) visa. If your fiancé(e) leaves the country before you are married, your fiancé(e) may not be allowed back into the United States without a new visa. (Please see How Can I Get a Travel Document? for additional travel information if your fiancé(e) will apply to become a legal permanent resident after you are married.)

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation