Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sponsor my wife

I know this sounds easy but I really do not know what to do.
    Question is : How to sponsor my wife?
    Facts are:
    1. I am a US citizen
    2. We are married 3 years now
    3. We have 2 kids (both US citizens)
    4. We live outside US for the last 3 years
    5. Now, I am back in US to start a new life
    6. Her and the kids are abroad and will come here when I get a good job
    7. My wife has a 10-visitors visa

Would I start processing her papers now while she is abroad, should I wait when she's here?
    If I start sponsorship now, would she not have a hard time in the port of entry?
    How long would it take so she can convert?

I truly appreciate your advice. Thanks.

I know this sounds easy but I really do not know what to do.
    Question is : How to sponsor my wife?
    Facts are:
    1. I am a US citizen
    2. We are married 3 years now
    3. We have 2 kids (both US citizens)
    4. We live outside US for the last 3 years
    5. Now, I am back in US to start a new life
    6. Her and the kids are abroad and will come here when I get a good job
    7. My wife has a 10-visitors visa

Would I start processing her papers now while she is abroad, should I wait when she's here?
    If I start sponsorship now, would she not have a hard time in the port of entry?
    How long would it take so she can convert?

I truly appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

you have several options. Which one is the best for you would depend on your circumstences but mostly how soon your family will be relocating to the US.

1. The fastest way to bring your wife is to file I-130 in the country of her current residence. That should be done by US citizen, and there are some requirments that vary from consulate to consulate. It is called "direct consular filing", but not all consulates do it.
      cons: you would have to go there
      pros: it takes from 2 week to 3 - 4 months to receive IR-1 visa. Green card GC arrives in the mail after your wife enters the US.

2. File I-130 in the US. After it is approved, your wife will have the interview in the local consulate also for IR-1.
      pros: GC in the mail

3. File I-130, and than I-129F for K3 visa. K3 has to go through the adjustment of status in US.
      cons: has to do AOS

K3 visa was introduced a few years back because I-130 (option 2) took forever, so in the middle of the process of approving I-130, the spouses of the US citizens ware allowed to eneter the US on K3 as non-immigrants, and than had to change (adjust) status in the US, instead of waiting to obtain the immigrant visa abroad.
      Lately, both 2 and 3 take about the same time. How long? - depends on your service center, and the consulate. People report waiting from 4 to 10 months.
      Most people start going both routs ( 2 & 3), and than "take" the one that comes through first. If there is no big difference in time, it is worth waiting for I-130 ( 2 ).

You can read a lot about it at http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php

Look at the processing times for your service center for the above forms. That will give you a better idea how long the wait could be.

I don't know how familiar you are with the spousal visas. There are many steps in the process that haven't been described above. Just ask if you need more details.

An alien should not use a non-immigrant visitor visa to enter the US if he/she intends to stay permanently - as an immigrant. It is called visa fraud.

After you declare to the USCIS your intentions to bring your wife permanently to the US ( by filing I-130), she may be denied entry into the US as non-immigrant, on her visitor visa.

Comment

Aneri, thanks.
        sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
        I appreciate it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed