• Show
Clear All

• speed_025
    replied
    pushing this thread up

Leave a comment:

• OldE
    replied
    No Brit, people don't have short memories. No one in this debate has forgotten 1986, especially those who oppose amnesty now.

I would share my opinion on this subject if I knew it was worth it, but I know my opinion on it doesn't matter at all as to what outcome there will be so I'll efficiently keep it to myself (energy savings)

Leave a comment:

• Brit4064
    replied
    People have short memories. The Republican's used the same tactic, add-on bill to must pass legislation for the REAL ID act and the Bankruptcy reform act.

Is it a good idea? I don't think so because it doesn't allow time for the measure to be debated and amended to make it workable. You'll end up with a flawed bill. You only have to witness the States slow compliance with REAL ID and the bankruptcy rates haven't slowed much if at all.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JermCool:
    Unemployment was at 4.6% in 2007. How do you go out of business due to a lack of labor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Fuel costs, administrative costs, tax costs, insurance costs, etc. It is not that unempllyment rate is 4.6%, but that inflation is creeping in that can destroy business faster than a 1% increase in the unemployment rate.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JermCool:
    Then allow agri-business to bypass minimum wage if they really can't afford to pay it to their workers. Don't bloody reward people for breaking the law! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    "Cheap Labor" is a relative term Jerm.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aroha:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20080516/pl_usnw/senate_us...loyers__charges_fair

Thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, Congress and the President might have a bill they can agree on together.

Leave a comment:

• Aroha
    replied
    I actually agree with JC as far as the pay rates go. The wages are a good chunk of the reason they can't get USC's to do those jobs.

Part of that bill is to freeze the wages agribusiness has to pay their employees for 3 years. It will only make the situation worse.

Though, to be honest, I think the worst part of this bill is that it's being piggy-backed on another that has an extremely good shot of being sped through.

Leave a comment:

• Sprint_girl07
    replied
    It is true, there is a lack of cheap labor now.

Apparently in my State they said that even the legals are staying away from farms etc, because they don't want to be presumed illegal and don't want the hassle from authorities being checked over and over again.

Farmers were saying that those workers were hard workers and that without them there was not enough manpower to go around. Hence loss of money and business.

Something is obviously wrong.

Leave a comment:

• JermCool
    replied
    Then allow agri-business to bypass minimum wage if they really can't afford to pay it to their workers. Don't bloody reward people for breaking the law!

Leave a comment:

• Theone
    replied
    There is a lack of cheap labour.

Leave a comment:

• JermCool
    replied
    I stand corrected on both counts. Farm owners are too crooked to maintain a legal workforce and Sen. Feinstein is as much of a lunatic as ever.

Leave a comment:

• Aroha
    replied
    However, since the report is coming from FAIR, I'd be inclined to take that with a grain of salt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You doubting my sources there, Einstein?

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAc...1C-48C1-484DFC65E9D9

Leave a comment:

• JermCool
    replied
    Unemployment was at 4.6% in 2007. How do you go out of business due to a lack of labor?

Leave a comment:

• Sprint_girl07
    replied
    I think my State will want agricultural workers, I know we have suffered since the new bill came in, and now they are all complaining and/or closing down due to the illegals leaving and lack of workforce.

Leave a comment:

• JermCool
    replied
    Because you're basically rewarding people for flaunting the rules. Do that, and you'll see a whole new level of illegal immigration.

However, since the report is coming from FAIR, I'd be inclined to take that with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation