Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EUROPEAN:

YOU CANNOT SPONSOR another person for a change of status while your an LPR; you have to become a U.S. Citizen first! PERIOD!

Also, as a citizen of a European country she can travel to the U.S. without first obtaining a visa and will be granted a 6-month permit; so why not travel to the U.S., apply to the appropriate post graduate institue, start studying and continue until you become a U.S. Citizen and then go for change of status.
    The way you are thinking of doing it just seems a bit convoluted and quite unnecessary under the circustances.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bhoffman:
      EUROPEAN:

YOU CANNOT SPONSOR another person for a change of status while your an LPR; you have to become a U.S. Citizen first! PERIOD!

Also, as a citizen of a European country she can travel to the U.S. without first obtaining a visa and will be granted a 6-month permit; so why not travel to the U.S., apply to the appropriate post graduate institue, start studying and continue until you become a U.S. Citizen and then go for change of status.
      The way you are thinking of doing it just seems a bit convoluted and quite unnecessary under the circustances.

GOOD LUCK! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bhoffman, I think you have your facts wrong..

an LPR can sponsor their spouse or childen, however by the time it all goes through and AOS the LPR no doubt would be able to become a Citizen and could upgrade during the process from LPR to USC sponsorship.

Secondly I don't know where you got entering the US without a visa and allowed to stay for 6 months from.
      European Citizens that are allowed to enter under the visa waiver program are only allowed to stay in the US for 90 days.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

SPRINT-GIRL07:

YOU ARE RIGHT! Alas I did get my facts terribly wrong about the first item and thank you for pointing that out; certainly did not mean to give misinformation but it is just one of those things that has had me saying since I read your post: "Since the ****, when?"

The second point, however, I stand firm on as many a British friends of mine come to the U.S. to visit and are given the 6-month visa!

Respectfully,
        Bhoffman

Comment

BHoffman: You can "stand firm" if you want to, but you're still giving incorrect advice.

First, foreigners admitted to America using the Visa Waiver Program are NOT admitted for a period of six months...the period of authorized admission is ninety days.

Second, a foreigner cannot be admitted as a tourist and then just begin studying at an American college or university. Foreign students require F-1 student status, and this cannot be obtained from within the United States unless the applicant has previously notified the American Embassy of their intention to seek student status at a future date.

Third, a foreigner with an LPR spouse has an added burden when visiting America...they must overcome the presumption of immigrant intent.

In this case, it's even doubtful that the original poster can still claim to be an LPR, given that he is residing outside of the country on a permanent basis.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bhoffman:
            SPRINT-GIRL07:

YOU ARE RIGHT! Alas I did get my facts terribly wrong about the first item and thank you for pointing that out; certainly did not mean to give misinformation but it is just one of those things that has had me saying since I read your post: "Since the ****, when?"

The second point, however, I stand firm on as many a British friends of mine come to the U.S. to visit and are given the 6-month visa!

Respectfully,
            Bhoffman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bhoffman, you don't need to take SD's and my word for it, so here are the facts in black and white for you:

Overview – what is the Visa Waiver Program?

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. The program was established in 1986 with the objective of eliminating unnecessary barriers to travel, stimulating the tourism industry, and permitting the Department of State to focus consular resources in other areas. VWP eligible travelers may apply for a visa, if they prefer to do so. Not all countries participate in the VWP, and not all travelers from VWP countries are eligible to use the program. VWP travelers are screened prior to admission into the United States, and they are enrolled in the Department of Homeland Security's US-VISIT program.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
            1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs