X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very important issue

HI,

I am a European GC holder married to a European lady currently living in Europe.

1) COuld anybody please tell me how long it would take for her to have her visa number assigned and become GC holder?Is that regardless of the European country?

2) In the meantime and while in Europe, could she apply for a student visa to study a post-graduate degree in the USA? What are the chances of getting rejected?

Many thanks

HI,

I am a European GC holder married to a European lady currently living in Europe.

1) COuld anybody please tell me how long it would take for her to have her visa number assigned and become GC holder?Is that regardless of the European country?

2) In the meantime and while in Europe, could she apply for a student visa to study a post-graduate degree in the USA? What are the chances of getting rejected?

Many thanks

Comment

Hi European,

Welcome to ilw. Are you a Legal Permanent Resident of the USA - living in Europe? If so, is this on a short term basis? Or, do you plan to return to the US and live here permanently? An LPR of the USA can petition for their spouse, but I'm not sure how that would work since you are currently not living in the USA.

Can you come back and clarify??

Comment

@Proud: this is what I got from European's message: he will want to return to the US, and that's why he is asking if how long his wife would have to wait to get a GC as well, and whether his wife could study on a student visa in the meantime....so my question would be only, what is the origin of her country?
        My thoughts about his questions:
        1. I'm afraid she would get rejected for student visa because she is already married to a GC holder (unless she travels seperately and lies at the embassy that she's not married at all)
        2. as far as I heard European, it takes a lot longer for GC holders to obtain their spouse an immigrant visa.

Good luck, European!
        Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.

Comment

HI ProudUSC,

THanks for your answer.
          I have been US resident for 3 years (lottery). Although I work in the UK I go back and forth to the States on my Greencard (every 5 months)(although I intend to apply for a re-entry permit) in my next visit

I can also prove strong ties to the States since I own property there, and have bank accounts, credit cards....

So far Immigration officers have never asked me about my job, assets... only limiting themselves to basic questions.

My wife also lives in Europe, but during this wait (4-5 years?) if I need to relocate physically to the States because of expiration of re-entry permits.... then I will.

Please let me know whether you require additional information.

Many thanks

Comment

Thanks Jeanine,

You are right. I want to return and live there permanently at some point, without going back and forth (every 5 months) or apply for a re-entry permit (my next visit) so that I can lengthen my stay with my wife.

Hope it makes sense. I am not doing anything illegal, just common sense of being with my wife, improving professionally until I relocate to the States, my real and firm destination

Question:

1) Even if she gets accepted by a Business School in the States, can she get rejected? we would never have the intention to lie to Immigration

Many thanks

Comment

European, it is not nice to be suspicious... but here I go:
              all the same questions were asked by someone else not that long ago.. and he got our best replys and help. And then his story got weired. When asked for explenation, he never came back until today (in other post not this).

Some of us invest time to read, think, research and reply to questions. So, do we need to go over your situation again or should I direct you to old posts?

If you are not that other guy... I apologize. But you can still read answers he got.

Comment

Hi Aneri,

Thanks for your answer. Sorry unfortunately, I am not sure to whom you refer, but I am new to this website

I appreciate all efforts from the people in the forum and hopefully I can also contribute with my experience if necessary

Could you please tell me then where I can find those questions asked by somebody else before?

Thks

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by European:
                  HI,
                  Many thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is assumed that people coming to the US on a temporary cisa (ie. student) without the intent to immigrate. If it is proven that it was their intent to immigrate and used that visa as a short cut, there could be severe consequences. The marriage visa should only take about 6-12 months; don't mess around with that and complicate matters with a student visa.
                  These people stop at Nothing !

Death to IMBRA AND VAWA !

God Bless America and no one else !!!

Comment

Aneri..as soon as I read this I thought the very same!
                    Worldcitizen then European. Ummmm

Funny how they both use very similar writing too.

GC holder, 1) 2) and many thanks
                    Let alone both living and from Europe, re-entry permits, LPR bla bla.

*cough*
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Going back to the US for short visits does put your green card at risk. You have been lucky so far, but it just takes one immigration official at the border having a particularly bad day to look at your entry and exit history to blow it all out of the water. I've heard of many cases where things have gone fine for months if not years, and then one day, they get slammed.

It is worth a shot on the student visa, but as your wife is married to a legal permanent resident, she will be considered an overstay risk, so it is highly likely that it would be denied.

You can sponsor her for residency, but as you're only a LPR, the wait time is extremely lengthy. Of course, you can upgrade that application when you become a citizen, but I would have to question whether you would get citizenship. Although you're technically eligible in 2 years, you need to show continuous residency within the US and you're not meeting that criteria at this point in time.

I'm sorry the answers aren't better for you. I know how frustrating this experience is.
                      The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

European: You say that you're living and working in the United Kingdom...but "returning" to America every five months. Well, sorry, but this just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

As a permanent resident, you must reside in the United States...and when you leave the United States with the intent to live and/or work in another country, then you renounce your green card.

It seems to me that you're not really a permanent resident at all...and are using your green card as some kind of glorified tourist visa. Sometime soon, Customs and Border Protection is going to shred your green card and send you home to your wife.

Comment

@European: I assume, that even if your wife got accepted by a school (wether it's business, or something else) she would still get denied of getting a student visa, because she is married to a GC holder. In other terms: she has an intention of staying in the US....
                          Good luck!
                          Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

Best regards!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources