Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months to 20 years

hello everybody. just joined. well i have been here since i was six months and now i'm almost 20. i was born in kenya and my parents never filed for my papers.i came on my mothers passport period. i am now in college and so far my father has his u.s citizenship but we are still waiting for my papers. he became one in 2005. the ppl said that if one parent is a citizen then your children are automatically too. my thing is can i still be filed for, after i'm 21 do i have to do it myself and what ways can i work w/o a social b/c i need work. and is there a way to get a liscence w/o a social? i have a itin. what can that do? thank you.

hello everybody. just joined. well i have been here since i was six months and now i'm almost 20. i was born in kenya and my parents never filed for my papers.i came on my mothers passport period. i am now in college and so far my father has his u.s citizenship but we are still waiting for my papers. he became one in 2005. the ppl said that if one parent is a citizen then your children are automatically too. my thing is can i still be filed for, after i'm 21 do i have to do it myself and what ways can i work w/o a social b/c i need work. and is there a way to get a liscence w/o a social? i have a itin. what can that do? thank you.

Comment

Hi Nairobi,

for what kind of papers are you still waiting? Did your father apply for your adjustment of status (green card) after he became US citizen in 2005? That's important information we need in order to try to help you...

If your father filed I-130 and I-485, you are entitled to Employment authorisation document (you have to file a form I-765). After that you can get SSN and work legaly.

A child becomes a citizen if he/she is under the age of 18 at the time parent's naturalizes. How old were you?

Comment

well i was already 19 and actually i have not seen any documents pertaining to a work authorization form. he said that is what he is working on right now, my adjustment of status. but i have not seen any paperwork for that either.

Comment

It is very important that your father files for you (I-130 and I-485) while you are still under 21. Make sure that's done.

After that, as a child of USC over 21, you will have to wait for about 5 years for a visa number to become available to you and you wan't be able to adjust status in the US as you overstayed... will have to go back to home country and that will trigger a 10 year bar on returning and so on and so on...

You need to know what's going on regarding your status. Get involved now.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation