Honest Qustion about national origin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem is that the line between racial profiling and statistic is too blurry. They can always hide behind statistic to justify racial profiling. Also, what would happen if a hispanic from France try to immigrate to US? Will the fact that a lot of illegal hispanic is present in the US will cloud the inspector judgement somewhat (especially if they have dealt with a lot of phony hispanic immigrants), despite the fact they're coming from "low-risk" country like France?

Comment

Many countries of Europe these days have mixed populations. I don't know how an "hispanic" would be "racially" distinguishable from a Frenchman or -woman. Or from a Spaniard. They're all Latins, after all, and "hispanic" actually refers to linguistic heritage, not "race". In fact, I'd be very surprised to hear that the term "Hispanic" is used anywhere else in the world, or that anyone outside the US identifies themselves as such--it's an invention of our Census bureau for statistical purposes and is an ethnic, not a racial, designation.

Now, Muslims, I know, are not warmly welcomed in Europe, but that's not a race; it's a religion that cuts across races.

Comment

i am from E-Europe and my hubby is chinese born in Indonesia and a naturalized citizen. we had not had any problems whatsoever with immigration (knocking on wood here). everything went smoothly from adjustment of status to removal of conditions on residence. no racial profiling and nobody even asked any question. our adjustment interview 3 years ago was 5 min long.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation