X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does 3/10 year bar apply to new LPR?

hi,

i was recently approved for LPR (oct 27,04) thru employement under 245i. my question is, i was out of status since 1989 and has not travel anywhere outside of US since i've entered US. my question is, now that i am LPR, does the 3/10 year bar apply to me if i want to travel back to my home country? do i need to get AP or reentry permit if i want to travel (probably a short 2 weeks visit)? pls advise. thanks!

hi,

i was recently approved for LPR (oct 27,04) thru employement under 245i. my question is, i was out of status since 1989 and has not travel anywhere outside of US since i've entered US. my question is, now that i am LPR, does the 3/10 year bar apply to me if i want to travel back to my home country? do i need to get AP or reentry permit if i want to travel (probably a short 2 weeks visit)? pls advise. thanks!

Comment

Congratulations Novellus

You should not worry about 3/10 year bar anymore. Under 245(i) once permanent residence is obtained, these entry bars no longer apply.

However, aliens subject to the bars with "pending AOS" (under 245i) should NOT leave the US as this will trigger these entry bars.

Comment

Oh & regarding AP or re-entry permit, as long as you are planning a short trip (less than 1 year), you can travel freely. Here is some more info right from USCIS's website (http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm#travel):

International Travel
        A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

Comment

to: hope is on its way,

thanks for the reply. i rec'd my approval notice but still have not receive the actual card yet. any idea when i will be rec'ing it? in the approval letter it says few months but i am not sure if that's the actual timeline. i haven't been back in my home contry in AGES and would love to visit my grandma who i haven't seen in years. i can't wait!!!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation