Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Marriage and Immigration Status

Hi, I'll try to be brief but I seldom succeed.

I am a Canadian Citizen that came to the US in 2005. Although I don't know, I presume that my allotted time for stay has expired. (Just so you understand my current status)

I married a US citizen in February of 2007 and I am preparing my forms for submission.

My wife, while on another matter, asked her attorney which forms I needed to complete and submit. I got a list of those docs but not much else.

At this time, I have completed my G-325A and my I-485 (biographical information and application to register) I have also completed my I-765.

Firstly, are these the forms I need or am I missing anything?

Secondly, is there an order I need to submit them in? I had read on this board that I could submit them all at once and it MAY speed up the process but I wanted to confirm. What order do the forms need to be submitted?

Thirdly, on the G-325A, it asks for my Alien Registration Number, which given my current status, I don't have. Is this required and if so, where do I get it?

Fourth, on the I-485, under Application Type, none of the options reflect my current situation. Should I simply select other and use the space provided to explain my circumstances? If this is the case, is there a general format that people use in this area?

Lastly, on the I-765 it also asks for an Alien Registration Number as well as a SSN which I don't currently have. Again, do I wait until I have these numbers assigned before submitting this form? Can I leave the space blank and submit it anyway in anticipation of getting those?

This is my first kick at the can. Obviously there is a lot of paperwork and red tape to go through. I want to make sure I do it right but also as quickly and efficiency as the system (which I know is nototiously slow) will allow.

Any specific answers to the questions I posted along with any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I'll try to be brief but I seldom succeed.

I am a Canadian Citizen that came to the US in 2005. Although I don't know, I presume that my allotted time for stay has expired. (Just so you understand my current status)

I married a US citizen in February of 2007 and I am preparing my forms for submission.

My wife, while on another matter, asked her attorney which forms I needed to complete and submit. I got a list of those docs but not much else.

At this time, I have completed my G-325A and my I-485 (biographical information and application to register) I have also completed my I-765.

Firstly, are these the forms I need or am I missing anything?

Secondly, is there an order I need to submit them in? I had read on this board that I could submit them all at once and it MAY speed up the process but I wanted to confirm. What order do the forms need to be submitted?

Thirdly, on the G-325A, it asks for my Alien Registration Number, which given my current status, I don't have. Is this required and if so, where do I get it?

Fourth, on the I-485, under Application Type, none of the options reflect my current situation. Should I simply select other and use the space provided to explain my circumstances? If this is the case, is there a general format that people use in this area?

Lastly, on the I-765 it also asks for an Alien Registration Number as well as a SSN which I don't currently have. Again, do I wait until I have these numbers assigned before submitting this form? Can I leave the space blank and submit it anyway in anticipation of getting those?

This is my first kick at the can. Obviously there is a lot of paperwork and red tape to go through. I want to make sure I do it right but also as quickly and efficiency as the system (which I know is nototiously slow) will allow.

Any specific answers to the questions I posted along with any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

most importantly the i-130!! which all the other forms are based off of that approval.. and you are missing the I-864 affidavit of support to go with your package. I assume your wife is working and will be your sponser or co sponser

also the medical i-693 should go with the package, but depends on what state /processing center you are in. check processing times b/c medical expires and you may have to pay for it to be done again if state has long processing time for the physical interview. in that case, you will want to bring evidence of the medical to the interview so that it is timely.

Submit the forms as a package. things will then go smooth.

for support or help visit websites like visajourney and you should see all that you need to do for a smooth adj of status.

no you dont have an alien number or ss. you were a tourist/visitor. i believe you can come here for 6 months and have to return, otherwise you overstayed. overstay is forgiven with marriage to usc.

Comment

Freat advice, 4now. Here is a link to USCIS brochure: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb9...CM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Click on "Help my Relative become Permanent Resident"

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies I have recieved so far. Verbalist, I have read the link you provided and like many other things in this process it cleared some things up and seemed to make things cloudier.

Clearly, based on what I read, my wife has to submit an I-130 form to petition on my behalf. This seems as though it will require a G-325A (Bio form) from both of us. Given that I am already in the country, I can apply for a change in status with an I-485.

So, right now I have:

Wife:
          I-130
          G-325A

Me:
          I-485
          G-325A

This covers her petition on my behalf and my change of status request.

Has anyone else been through this process? Can I send all 4 forms (seperate checks for each form as per the instructions) as one package? If I can and ultimately do send them as one package is there anything else that anyone can recommend I include?

Thanks in advance and thanks again for all the help so far.

Comment

check my post again

I told you what you need and to go to visajourney.com if you needed help. it is very clear.. if not seek a paralegal or attorney.

You neeed to submit the whole package. not part.

i130\i485/i864/325a/325a/i765/medical i693

follow the instructions on 485 and i130 for evidences that also need to be submitted, and the pictures for the greencard.

Good luck.. and again seek help with catholic social services, paralegal or attorney if you cannot handle the task

good luck

Comment

Hi Puck...

4Now has given you the list of all forms to be completed, we have just been thru the process, the forms are pretty easy to understand, if you follow the instructions, also send in as much evidence as you can regarding your marriage, i.e. joint leases, joint utility bills, joint bank accounts, Affidavits from 3rd parties.

The more evidence you send the better.

Good Luck, also as suggested go to Visajourney, they do a complete rundown on what to send.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation