Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hudson:
    Puerto Rican taxation is a federal tax equivalent to the IRS taxation system. It is not a state or local tax. If it was, then it would base its taxable income on the federal return first. And if one pays to both the Puerto Rican tax authority and to the IRS, one could qualify for the foreign tax credit on their IRS federal return. It was not that obvious to you if you state it is a state or local taxation.

Puerto Ricans, generally, have enjoyed being a commonwealth. Puerto Ricans who want to become a state or who want to become independent are in the minority. However, either becoming an independent nation or a state does have some disadvantages to Puerto Rico and the surrounding regino.
    You are evading the issue based on technicality. Federal tax is the tax that is charged by the US government. Purto Ricans simply do not pay federal income tax. No matter how many technicalities or loopholes you are trying to find, it does not change the fact.

Thus, any equivalent tax that they pay should be compared to state and local level. Granted, their own tax rate is higer than any state government in US charges. However, the bottom line is, when all things said and done, thanks to their federal income tax exemption, they pay much lower total amount than US residents do.

Comment

No one likes the US government in the world. In fact it is the worst government that ever existed on planet earth.
      Wrongo. We are still popular in the Philippines and Nigeria.

You're also wrong it's one of the worst governments. That's a statement lacking perspective and facts.

Our government is bigger and better than the guy currently occupying the Oval Office and if you pay attention to politics, you'll note the power of that office has been recently diminished via our electoral process. How many governments can do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Houston:
        Let me ask something, if Congress decided to pass an amnesty measure would you still "support" those actions without questioning them? There's a material and pronounced difference between freedom of speech and the right to express opinions, and unfounded criticism.
        That's a very good argument. I have a vague suspicioin that the very same people who have been screaming to "support the president" would be calling the same president "idiot".

Comment

to Iperson: once again, you show your true colors....lie to get a student visa, marry some dodo, and then slam the USG....go back to wonderful, modern, advanced Poland, EET.
          Solution for illegal immigration/aliens:
          give 'em one year to self-deport, face a 2 year bar to readmission, no waivers, no nothing...
          criminal aliens (those who have been robbing banks, etc - the ones Houston and Hudson think should be forgiven because Americans run traffic lights) are outta here forever....who needs 'em? And they can take their sub-moronic spouses with them.
          After 2 years, those who choose self-deportation (at their own expense) can apply for (and qualify for) visas of various kinds...
          those who don't take this last opportunity to demonstrate responsibility and respect for US laws become deportable felons on day 366, subject to immediate deportation upon contact with so much as a meter maid, and they can NEVER return legally to the United States of AMerica....any one of these superdirtbags who sneaks across the border or scams a visa and is discovered serves 25 years at hard labor in the worst prison we have, and then they are deported again, if necessary to Greenland.

Comment

Iperson is merely quoting newspapers. Her quote is then true, because the word around the world is, that the current U.S. government is the worst government ever.

And on the home front: Hillary Clinton is running for office and made this very issue one of her campaign slogans. I quote: "We must restore respect for America around the world!"
            “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

Iperson: you lied to get your student visa and your husband's alleged two PHds didn't teach him about green card scamming EETs.
              So go on back to beautiful downtown Warsaw and enjoy a true democracy and a modern nation....(yea, right)...

Comment

.....what's more, I think Iperson (nor anyone else) in this matter is referring to the form of U.S. government, but to the current president and the last house and senate – way too far to the right.
                “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by ProudUSC:
                  I'm so proud and glad to be an American that your sorry behinds (Kollerkrot and Iperson) really can't say anything to defend your stance on USA government basing. Pulling out the Hillary Clinton card, huh, Kollerkrot? Don't make me laugh. This country definitely does not need another 4 years with Bill, even if he is only the 'first man'. Been there, done that. There are numerous solid candidates for the upcoming election on both sides - I say we all become involved, informed voters - put aside our political affiliations, and vote for the most qualified candidate to move our governement in the right direction.
                  How can anyone who puts political affiliations aside vote for anyone in a democracy? That is ludicrous! One is either is a democrat or a concervative.

Comment

I'm so proud and glad to be an American that your sorry behinds (Kollerkrot and Iperson) really can't say anything to defend your stance on USA government basing. Pulling out the Hillary Clinton card, huh, Kollerkrot? Don't make me laugh. This country definitely does not need another 4 years with Bill, even if he is only the 'first man'. Been there, done that. There are numerous solid candidates for the upcoming election on both sides - I say we all become involved, informed voters - put aside our political affiliations, and vote for the most qualified candidate to move our governement in the right direction.
                    Why are you so proud and glad that you are an American? Can you give me some details on that?

Comment

Because we are a country where you are free to do almost anything you want to do (provided you are legal). How can you immigrate to this country and ask such a question? Don't you understand loyalty or patriotism? I think you should just go back to whatever democracy you came from since you don't appreciate ours. We don't need you here.
                      Now that was a really stupid answer. It was patriotic alright, but really, really stupid!!

Comment

dmartmar do you know how expensive it is to be legal here? you are again talking about your wife who "take advantage" of you, does puerto rican pay taxes in america? just wondered because i do not know. anyway stop complaining about legal immigrants it is not gonna get you any better. find a women who will love you better.

ALSO dmartmar i feel sorry for you.

dmartmar do you know how expensive it is to be legal here? you are again talking about your wife who "take advantage" of you, does puerto rican pay taxes in america? just wondered because i do not know. anyway stop complaining about legal immigrants it is not gonna get you any better. find a women who will love you better.

I don't think Puetoricans are subjected to federal taxation. They get all the benefits of being an American without having to pay tax. The best of both worlds. Only drawback is they don't get representation in the congress.

dmartmar maybe you should stop complaining about legal and illigal immigrants because since you are puerto rican usc you probably don't even pay taxes. haha you are so funny.

again i don't care about illegal immigrants and i don't support them either. dmartmar is just so annoying. but anyway he is funny too haha.

chinita
                        Let me give you all a brief, yet thorough history lesson and an explanation as to where, why, when, how and what it means to be a Puerto Rican Citizen and its ties with the USA.

1493 - Puerto Rico becomes a Spanish colony
                        1898 - Puerto Rico becomes an American colony
                        1952 - Puerto Rico becomes a US Commonwealth

1. In Puerto Rico:

a) federal tax exemption, not local
                        b) no Presidential, nor state voting rights, only local governor
                        c) Congressional representation only, no voting rights
                        d) National Olympic Team
                        e) local and federal laws both applied
                        f) full US citizenship by/on birth, no residency required/applied/needed
                        g) US currency only
                        h) Spanish 1st, English 2nd
                        i) both Puerto Rican and American Constitutions
                        j) minimum work wage of $5.15 p/h
                        k) work related benefits and retirement plans subject to both federal and local law

2. In the US:

a) state and federal taxes both applied
                        b) Presidential and state voting rights
                        c) state and federal laws both apply
                        d) English 1st, Spanish 2nd
                        e) full US citizenship by/on birth, no residency required/applied/needed
                        f) absentee voting rights
                        g) minimum work wage more than $5.15 p/h
                        h) work related benefits subject to federal law only

Central and South American Spanish speaking only countries do not see Puerto Rico as a Latin American country and consider Puerto Ricans to be full-bloodied North Americans. On the other hand, English only speaking North Americans in the continental US are the complete opposite.

As to my ex-wife, let me clear some things up:

1. We met here in the US. She was already here working with a J1 Visa. We dated for a year before getting married and everything had been perfect up to that point. I fell in-love with her and she "supposedly" reciprocated that love.

2. Three months later and within a week of submitting her GC paperwork, she abandoned me. Right away I requested the withdrawal of all her petitions on my behalf. Her whereabouts are then unknown to me for the next three mos.

3. We ran into each other by coincidence at a local restaurant where she had been working all along at "under the table." Our, no, HER conversation only revolved around "the GC interview," the EAD she had gotten a month earlier at her "new address," the "biometrics appointment" she had gone to w/o my knowledge and "a monetary offer if I helped her obtain the GC." My reply? "Are you NUTS!" She loses it. I later came to find out that she wanted everything taken care of before her J1 expired.

4. About a week later I got served a restraining order filed by her against me, full of false domestic violence charges. Also included was a divorce decree.

5. $2,000 less in my bank account and 4 court hearings later, she suddenly withdrew everything and as such, all charges were dropped.

6. No more contact whatsoever until a mutual friend told me she had been ordered to "voluntarily leave the US." Rcv'd a letter from the USCIS that later confirmed this.

7. A year and a half later I finally received the "divorce papers" which she sent from Argentina.

Comment

....and for that matter, I think America needs me very much. I do things that help many people, corporations, and of course the government. I make it possible for pleople get on with their lives and corporation to earn a lot of money. So, what do you mean by America doesn't need me?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How can anyone who puts political affiliations aside vote for anyone in a democracy? That is ludicrous! One is either is a democrat or a concervative.
                            What a crock of $hit! It has to be black or white to you, huh? OMG! That's what different about America. You can belong to a certain party and change your mind at election time. Just because you are registered a certain way doesn't mean you have to vote that way. You need to become informed about the candidates' qualifications, policies, intents way before election time. Just because I'm affiliated with a certain party doesn't mean I'm going to vote for them if they haven't earned it! That's what is so great about this country! Freedom of Choice! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't do that, because I'd be scared that they would pull one on me down the road. I think that politicians do everything to get your vote. They go as far as lying openly to get it. Here I would like to remind on Bush senior with his "read my lips.... deal"! I am a liberal democrat by conviction. I listen to who the democrats put up, and choose the candidate that I think realizes my ideals best. In that regard, I can deal with liberalism sprinkled with some conservatism, but I could never deal with it the other way around.

Comment

Your view is certainly not mine. I'm not going to get into a political showdown here, but you really need to work on the legalization process. You seem to be a passionate person with positive motives. The only way you make a difference here in America is by being eligible to vote. I think your vote should count - but it can only count if you become a legal resident of this great country. Good luck in the process.

Comment

As a matter of fact, many Republicans voted Democrat this past November. It's a personal selection, but it's true that many still vote for whoever runs on behalf of the party.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation