245I OR SIMILAR LEGISLATION COMING UP??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helen,I have to agree with you on certain things.My husband is a USC but we still can not adjust my status.He wouldn't allow me to work as most of the illegal aliens do etc.
    but what really frustrates him that illegal aliens who fall under somekinda laws like the245(i) or others can adjust their and their families status regardless of amost anything.
    And him as a USC has absolut no priorities,nothing!!!!Sometimes it seems that you're better of beeing an immigrant that a citizen of this country.

Comment

All USC should report illegal aliens like sons of saddam!

Comment

so this bill will pass soon i mean this year or it's gona take a long whihle to be effevtive thanks

Comment

Illegal aliens will never get legal in the United States. Americans want to exploit the cheap labor and paying them like to a dog $9000 per year.
          Forget about any legalization act - it will never pass! Naive aliens.

Comment

God, let HR 440 become law and all stop arguing. Amen.

Comment

I don't think anybody can be more naive than you Helen!!!Oh,and narrow minded!!!

Comment

Sorry (Freddy ;-) Krueger if you feel that way, as my name states, I am advising, not an advocate for anybody!

I feel that the law is the law, even if it's feels unjust at times.

Comment

Does anyone know how long it may take for this bill to pass and for people to actually receive visas?

Comment

I don't think hoping for something means that someone is "naive". It may be a bit out of the blue (in my opinion), and I haven't had time to read all the posts in this thread yet, but I believe this 440 is more for really out of status older foreign nationals or really young ones (especially the ones who were brought here as minors - that's why the High School requirement).

I know it gets a lot people angry and sad, but why do you think anybody should be awarded for intentially disregarding what's right and in this case the law (e.g. entering and working in the U.S. with permission?).

And to all of you coming with nothing higher than personal attacks; you just show how of an undeserving and ungratefull person you are who absolutly does not belong adjusted here!

Comment

America is a nation of Hope...

Getting Freedon of Speach
                      Getting over Germany
                      Getting to the Moon
                      Getting rid of KKK
                      Getting Iraks ousted

and we all get it, eventually.

Comment

To:
                        AnEmployer

Thats the quality of your research.

The 245(i) was reenacted in 1998 and extended the deadline to 2000, April 30. After that, there have been many other bills extending and ammending the Act. The last ammendment extended to April 30, 2002 - see HR 1885 on Senate.gov; further more these bills are usually approved way pass the deadline estipulated in the bill, but for the past 3 years it has been extended. If there's any link between an employer, or any posted letter to Labor department with date prior to dates estipulated in these bills with the applicant, 245(i) is still valid. The last ammendment to this section was also called the "Patriot Act".

Let me Know...

Comment

Extension of 245-i will not help because sponsoring for a green card is associated with potential risk for an employer and big employers cannot do that. Small employers on the other hand do not have ability to pay a prevailing wage and benifit from underpaying an alien and the circle is closed.
                          USA cannot be a homeland for everybody from the third world!

Comment

Arrogant Helen!
                            USA has been home to everybody, including even stray dogs from Iraq!

Comment

It is too much to ask that you come here legally , how sad excuses your are for human beings, look at the lives you have effected of your follow human beings, THESE Folks have had to move from there homes because you have turned Calif into a cesspool, like I have said Calif will implode on itself because of illegally immigration, it has a budget deficit bigger then ALL OTHER STATES COMBINED.THEIR WILL BE NO MORE AMNESTY IN THIS COUNTRY, TRY CANADA.

Exodus to other states tops new arrivals
                              Population still soaring from births and foreign influx
                              Tyche Hendricks, Chronicle Staff Writer
                              Wednesday, August 6, 2003
                              ©2003 San Francisco Chronicle | Feedback
                              URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...6/MN274495.DTL

Driven by the high cost of housing and the aggravation of traffic jams,
                              Californians fled the Golden State for places like Nevada and Arizona in the late 1990s, according to a report released today by the U.S. Census Bureau.
                              It was the first time more people left for other states than moved to California from other states, and the trend is continuing, experts say.
                              Last year, Miiko Mentz, a 39-year-old Cupertino native who works in public relations, steered her U-Haul truck southeast, following hundreds of thousands of others who left California in the latter half of the 1990s.
                              "We went from paying $3,000 a month in rent to a mortgage of $1,490," said Mentz, who moved with her husband from San Jose to Chandler, Ariz., a Phoenix suburb, last year. "Our house here is 2,700 square feet, and we have a pool. It was the right choice."
                              Mentz said Phoenix has all the sports teams, rock concerts, restaurants and shopping malls she wants, and she doesn't have to commute and work long hours to pay a sky-high Bay Area mortgage.
                              The most popular destinations for others joining the exodus were Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Washington, Oregon and Colorado.
                              "Is the luster off the Golden State? In some ways, it is," said Hans Johnson, a research fellow at the Public Policy Institute of California, based in San Francisco. "People move to these other states for some of the same reasons they came to California a couple of decades ago: opportunities and quality of life."
                              MIDDLE-CLASS FLIGHT
                              And the migration out of California has continued into this decade, with a net loss of 167,000 residents from April 2000 to July 2002, said Bill Frey, a senior fellow of demographic studies at the Milken Institute in Santa Monica.
                              "It's a middle-class crunch," said Frey. "They're following the American dream to get more space for less money. And it's now clear that the big urban areas in California don't provide that affordable middle-class housing and lifestyle that they once did."
                              Although California lost 755,000 more residents to other states than it took in between 1995 and 2000, it still experienced a big jump in population from foreign immigration and births.
                              The state's population rose between 1990 and 2000 to nearly 33.9 million, a 14 percent increase. Its foreign-born population went up by more than one- third to almost 8.9 million.
                              California's two largest urban areas -- the Los Angeles, Riverside and Orange County metropolitan area and the Bay Area -- lost the most people to other states. That movement out of California mirrors a continuing migration from big cities in the Northeast to places like Atlanta, Orlando, Fla., and Charlotte, N.C., Frey said.
                              New York, Illinois, New Jersey and Pennsylvania also lost more residents to other states than they took in.
                              California still attracts college-educated migrants from other parts of the country who find highly skilled jobs here and may be attracted by the state's cultural riches.
                              "We've never had a problem finding people who want to live here," Johnson said.
                              California is also still an important gateway for immigrants from abroad, both skilled and unskilled, and many put down roots here. But a substantial minority of those in the new census report who left California are immigrants seeking employment and a lower cost of living, according to Professor Dowell Myers of the University of Southern California's Population Dynamics Research Group.
                              Though California lost population to 38 other states, it's not a sign that the state is on the skids, said Myers.
                              "In no way is this a setback for California," he said. "It's just a balancing mechanism. I think most Californians would be glad that somebody left. Otherwise, we would be overflowing."
                              The most recent exodus has been less severe than that in the late 1980s, when recession was accompanied by the upheaval of earthquakes and the Los Angeles riots, said Myers.
                              Even with the dot-com crash, the fiscal crisis and the pending gubernatorial recall election, "California is still on the recovery path," Myers said. "The underpinnings are solid, because of the economic vitality of the residents and the basic attractions of the state."
                              NO REGRETS
                              All that may be, but Kathy Knecht is not sorry she left her native Bay Area two years ago.
                              Knecht, 42, gave up a job as an administrative assistant in Santa Clara and moved with her family to Carson City, Nev.
                              "We have a 2-year-old daughter and wanted to raise her in a smaller area," she said. "I wanted to stay home with her full time. If we'd stayed there, it would have been more difficult."
                              Knecht has had a hard time getting used to snowy winters, and she misses going to Giants games, but her new house is more than double the size of the home she left in Los Altos.
                              "This is a nice area," she said. "And I was getting tired of the congestion in the Bay Area."

E-mail Tyche Hendricks at thendricks@sfchronicle.com.
                              CHART 1:

California's changing population

California's overall population increased from 32,062,912 in 1995 to 33,871,
                              648 in 2000. But in terms of domestic migration, more people left the state
                              than moved to it:

Number of people who left California and moved to another state 2,204,500
                              Number who migrated to California from another state 1,448,964
                              Net migration: - 755,536

Source: Chronicle research
                              Chronicle Graphic
                              CHART 2:

LARGEST STATE-TO-STATE MIGRATION FLOWS

State of State of Migration Reverse Net
                              origin destination flow flow migration

New York Florida 308,230 70,218 238,012
                              New York New Jersey 206,979 97,584 109,395
                              California Nevada 199,125 60,488 138,637
                              California Arizona 186,151 92,452 93,699
                              California Texas 182,789 115,929 66,860
                              Florida Georgia 157,423 99,225 58,198
                              California Washington 155,577 95,469 60,108
                              California Oregon 131,836 67,642 64,194

Source: U.S. Census Bureau
                              Chronicle Graphic

©2003 San Francisco Chronicle | Feedback
                              Page A - 1
                              The California Problem
                              Thursday, August 07, 2003
                              By Matt Hayes

Lawyers in California tell me that running an immigration law practice there is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because of the sheer volume of Mexican illegal immigrants (search) flowing across the border who seek some form of legal immigration status.
                              But it's a curse because every practitioner knows that there is a much larger, untapped population of potential customers who will never seek the services of an immigration lawyer because they will never need them. As one friend told me: "In California, the distinction between having legal immigration status and no legal immigration status really is purely legal. There is no practical distinction at all."
                              The benefits in immigrating to California (search) have been known to Mexican nationals for at least a decade, but California's taxpayers are only now realizing the true cost. By some estimates, one-third of all illegal immigrants to the U.S. reside in California. The draws: programs like Medi-Cal (search), other state-based social programs, and a regulatory environment that is deliberately welcoming to the illegal immigrant. Though taxpayers have tried to end the steady flow of public money to illegal immigrants, politicians like Gov. Gray Davis (search), in poorly conceived efforts to curry the favor of yet one more interest group, have always stepped in to assure that the money continues to flow.
                              Proposition 187 (search), a ballot measure passed by voters in 1994, denied public benefits to illegal aliens. The day after voters passed it, groups such as the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (search) sued and sought a permanent injunction against Proposition 187 becoming law. An injunction remains in effect, and though Davis said during his campaign that he would appeal, he steadfastly refused to do so once he was elected. There is now a pending measure that would make obtaining a California driver's license much easier for illegal immigrants. Prior to his election being recalled, Davis had said that if the measure made it to his desk, he would sign it.
                              Los Angeles County is facing the closure of 16 hospitals and health care facilities because of looming insolvency. The problem is not that the facilities are underused. They are used too much, and because health care workers are not instructed -- some would say not permitted -- to inquire as to the immigration status of people seeking care, the facilities are saddled with millions in costs that are not reimbursable under the Medicaid (search) program. Medicaid reimburses medical facilities only for emergency treatment of illegal aliens. Because no inquiry as to immigration status or even residency is ever made, medical services that are not reimbursable under Medicaid are regularly rendered. As a result, Los Angeles County incurred a $360 million healthcare deficit in fiscal 2002 alone.
                              The Investigations Division of the California Department of Health Services (search) operated two port of entry Medi-Cal fraud detection programs; one called the Port of Entry Detection Program (search) the other the California Airport Residency Review (search). Both were highly successful, but were shut down because they were attacked by immigrants' rights groups.
                              In order to justify closing the program down, the California state auditor did an "investigation" and ordered the programs shut down. It issued a report in April 1999 (coinciding with the crescendo of pressure from immigrants' rights groups) that claimed the program was no longer justified. Any responsible governor and legislature would have found a way to improve the program to continue to deny benefits to illegal immigrants and other ineligible recipients. In all likelihood, it would have saved the state from the $30 billion deficit it now faces. Gray Davis wouldn't do it.

"Anti-borders groups will characterize any attempt to point out the negative impact of massive immigration on California's teetering health care system as 'blaming immigrants.' But, in a world in which nearly five billion people live in countries poorer than Mexico, the fact simply must be faced that California cannot be the emergency room to the world," says Craig Nelson, director of the advocacy group Friends of Immigration Law Enforcement (search). "California taxpayers have the right to know how their health care tax dollars are being spent, who is getting that health care, and whether such provision violates any laws. At the very least, hospitals and other providers must begin gathering data on the immigration status of those accessing the system," Nelson says.
                              We can hope that Gov. Davis takes time to reflect on what brought him to a point at which he faces an historic recall election (search), but he probably won't. He has sold out California's taxpayers in a deliberate plan to remain in office by offending no one, except perhaps the 59 percent of Californians who voted for Proposition 187. The result is a record deficit and a popularity rating so low that many hardcore Democrats want him to leave office. Other states must look to California as an example of what happens to governors who refuse to address the problem of unchecked illegal immigration.
                              Matt Hayes began practicing immigration law shortly after graduating from Pace University School of Law in 1994, representing new immigrants in civil and criminal matters. He teaches at Berkeley College, and is author of The New Immigration Law and Practice, to be published in October.
                              Funding of Health Care Services in Los Angeles County
                              Dear Supervisors:
                              It is my understanding that your group has voted to close 16 community clinics, reduced by 25% funding for our network of private clinics partnering with the County to provide care, and approved the transition of High Desert Hospital to an ambulatory care center.
                              It is my further understanding that within the last decade, 50 emergency rooms and 17 trauma centers throughout Southern California have closed their doors, all because they couldn't afford to keep them open because of the ever increasing numbers of uninsured.
                              I'm aware of the recent study co-authored by Daniel Flaming, supported by data compiled by Los Angeles Mayor James Hahn's economic development team, that led researchers to estimate that about $1.1 billion a year is not being paid into Social Security, workers' compensation, health insurance, and other social safety-net programs to protect workers who became ill, injured, unemployed or retired, in violation of the law. This study estimated that 28 percent of the workforce in the county is paid in cash, and one in four don't have federal and state payroll taxes withheld, creating the kind of economic unpredictability that potential employers tend to avoid. We know that a large percentage of those without health insurance are illegal immigrants.
                              For historical perspective, I've also read the County's, 1992 "Impact of Undocumented Persons and Other Immigrants on Costs, Revenues and Services in Los Angeles County". This study revealed that for each dollar of tax revenue generated by the County's 700,000 adult illegal aliens into County coffers, it cost the County $39.50 to provide them with social services. And if one looks at the contributions by these same illegal immigrants to all levels of government, the Study further revealed that for ever dollar of tax revenue generated, these same adult illegal immigrants consumed $1.58 in social services.
                              So no one in County Government can claim any surprise about the huge financial albatross that illegal immigrants represent to Los Angeles County. While illegal immigrants certainly aren't the sole cause of this health care financial catastrophe, they nevertheless are a large component. While local county governments aren't responsible for the enforcement of federal immigration laws, they still get stuck with the check.
                              I'm certain that many U.S. citizens and legal residents are either denied L.A. County medical assistance or are greatly inconvenienced by having to queue-up with people who have no right to be in this country.
                              What distresses me further is the shameful silence by most of you supervisors about the policies of our national government that passes immigration laws which aren't enforced, and then rewards those who're successful in criminally breaching our borders with all kinds of educational, maternity, TANF and citizenship benefits. Can't you supervisors, at the bare minimum, go on public record and protest these travesties? Couldn't you instruct the L.A. County Sheriff to cooperate with the INS? Shouldn't your body play a leading role in getting the general public behind a movement to pressure the federal government to end the malfeasance and abuses of Uncle Sam? What's so sacrosanct about the reality that immigrant rights don't belong to those who have no right to be here?

Comment

Arnold runs for governor. Arnold wins. Arnold gives driver's licences to undocumented immigrants. Viva Arnold! Or not?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation