Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID... anyone

Anyone in this board had an experience of getting state ID. I went to MVA today in hopes of getting one but getting state ID is as strict as getting a DL. I don't have valid passport and visa but have INS documents as a proof that I am in the process. Do you think If I get my EAD card, I can go back and get one??

Anyone in this board had an experience of getting state ID. I went to MVA today in hopes of getting one but getting state ID is as strict as getting a DL. I don't have valid passport and visa but have INS documents as a proof that I am in the process. Do you think If I get my EAD card, I can go back and get one??

Comment

YES ONCE YOU GET YOUR EAD CARD YOU CAN THEN GET YOUR ID...OTHERWISE IS IMPOSSIBLE IN ALMOST ALL US STATES...

Comment

Thank you SOUS.

Comment

The Social Security Administration no longer issues social security cards for the sole purpose of obtaining drivers' licenses. This change was put into effect on March 1, 2002.

If an individual is lawfully admitted to the U.S., but does not have employment authorization (students, visitors, H-4 dependents, etc.), the Social Security Administration will issue a SSN only under two circumstances. The first is if a Federal law requires a SSN in order to obtain a particular benefit or service. Driver's licenses, which are issued by states, would *not* qualify under this rule. The second circumstance is if a state or local law requires a SSN to provide general assistance benefits, if the applicant has established s/he is entitled to these benefits.

In the two instances described, the applicant must provide a statement on the letterhead stationery of the government agency requiring the SSN. The letter must specifically name the applicant and the law requiring the SSN. It must also indicate that, except for not having the SSN, the applicant meets all other requirements for the benefit.

Everyone must check with his/her particular state as to whether the social security card is a required document for a driver's license. In some states, such as Maryland, the card is one of a number of "identity" documents allowed. In those states where the social security card is a required document, it appears that this policy change could be a hardship for individuals in non-working statuses. For example, it may create difficulty for students unable to live on campus in areas without available public transportation. Spouses of H1Bs and F-1s (in H-4 and F-2 status, respectively) may also be unable to drive in order to care for their children and households.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation