Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legal advice in North Carolina

Does anyone know of any free or low cost places/agencies that i can go for some help. My fiancee and i need help!
    PLEASE help !!!!!

Try calling the North Carolina State Bar. They will refer you to an immigration attorney and may have some advice for low fee/no cost legal assistance.

Comment

to JAONN

Exactly what type of legal help do you need? Please be more specific since no one here will be able to identify you anyway.

Comment

We are planning on getting married in the near future and are not sure what to do or how to go about it. I heard from someone that u must have a SS# in NC to marry. He does not have one. I was wondering if that is true and what steps to take i guess to get the paperwork going. We have been together for 2yrs and hope to tie the knot soon.
        He came here without inspection so i know that will cause problems. I wanted to know what all the options are for him/us. And too, what to be expecting! I know that it wont be fast and easy! I was wondering too if and when his papers are being filed if there was any way that we could travel to Mexico to see his family. He has been here for 6yr and has not seen them since!
        Also, i had thought about seeing if i could sponser his mom and dad to come here on a visitor visa maybe around Christmas. I want to know how to go about doing this. They are in their mid-50s so will that make a difference?
        Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Comment

sorry--had spelled my name wrong the 1st post! haha

Comment

hi joann, your bf will not be eligible to get his green card based on marriage to you here in the US under current immigration law because he came into the US illegally. There used to be a law called "245i" that allowed people like your bf to apply for the green card and pay a fine of $1000 for entering illegally -- this is called adjustment of status when you get your green card without having to leave the US. That law expired 4-30-2001, so unless your bf has a brother or sister who is a US citizen and who filed a relative petition for him before that expiration date, your bf is not eligible to apply for green card inside the US.

You can still get married (I don't know about North Carolina law specifically, but you could go to Las Vegas or somewhere like that). But for your husband to get his permanent resident status, he will have to return to Mexico for what is called "consular processing." But because he has lived in the US illegally for more than one year, he will have to remain outside the US for 10 years once he departs, unless he can get a waiver granted. The waiver requires a showing of "extreme hardship" to a US citizen or legal resident spouse (you) or parent (but his parents live in Mexico, so don't count). This waiver is very difficult to get, and note that hardship to children does not count! Even if he could qualify for the waiver, he would still spend between 1-2 years waiting for it in Mexico!

If your husband has ever hopped back across the border say to visit mom and dad for Christmas, and then entered the US illegally a second time, then he may be PERMANENTLY barred from the United States (meaning you can't even apply for the waiver until he can prove he has remained outside the US for 10 years). This permanent bar would apply if he had accrued one year of unlawful presence after 4-1-1997, and then departed US and returned again illegally.

There is a proposed law pending before Congress called the "USEFUL" Act -- if it becomes law, your bf may be qualified for a new amnesty it would create. But at this moment, there is no amnesty that will help him. Cancellation of removal (10 years in the US, + exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to family members + good moral character) is not an amnesty. Watch out for certain "notarios" and unscrupulous attorneys who will prepare a political asylum case to get your bf into immigration proceedings -- this is fraud, and he will be forever barred from any immigration benefit in US.

Sorry it's not good news for you -- many people think that because they are US citizens their spouses can become legal, but it is very complicated. Listen for news on the return of "245i" or passage of the USEFUL Act.

Good luck.

Comment

thanks for the info! I had heard about the "USEFUL Act" but wasn't sure if it ever went to Congress to be voted on or whatever. Do you have any idea as to when it will be passed or turned down?? I am desperately searching for a way for us to be able to be together forever! I don't want to move to Mexico to live. I love living in the US and don't want to be forced to give up my country to be with the man i love.
              I really hope that they pass this act!!

Comment

JUST HANG IN THERE. MY HUSBAND AND I WERE MARRIED JUNE OF LAST YEAR AND HAVE A BABY. WE ARE ALSO WAITING THE RETURN OF 245I OR USEFUL.

OUR REASONS ARE ALSO FOR TRAVEL PURPOSES. BOTH OF OUR PARENT LIVE THERE. MY MOM IS A USC WHO LIVES THERE.

LUCKILY WE ARE ABLE TO LIVE BOTH PLACES IF NECESSARY BUT I LOVE MY LIFE HERE AND HAVE A VERY GOOD JOB THAT I WOULD HATE TO GIVE UP.

GOOD LUCK. SOMETHING HAS GOT TO GIVE SOON.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation