Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to Sammy from COM2LA

Hello, Sammy. Thank you very much for your response again regarding our case where I am an USC and my husband is awaiting the approval of I-485. In October of last year we have filed and I-130 and I485 in our local Field office in Downtown L.A.

We then have received a letter from the saying that they have received the documents, but they don't give any case # like the Service Center in Laguna Niguel does, so there is no way we can check the status electronically or get any info over the phone.

The information regarding 180 days I received from another immigration site www.immigrationlinks.com and www.shusterman.com
    They both list on the front page under "Immigration Local Office Processing times" how long it takes in Los Angeles to process the I-485. BTW, my husband has received his Authorization for Employment in less than a month and a half from the time we filed for him(we filed for EDD same time when I-130 and I-485 were file). So, this is where I got an idea that it takes that long to be approved.

The reason it's important to know is because my husband is trying to go to college and in order to qualify for a Federal loan, he has to be a green card holder. Federal loan has much less percentage rate, so it's important for us to get that kind of a loan instead of a private loan.

And as far as going for an interview, for us it really doesn't matter if we do or we don't. We are legitimately married and have not problems answering any type of questions. Do you still think we need to spend some time reviewing something. I just don't know what to excpect. But I think that for people that are living ligitimately, nothing would be a problem. Agree?

Thanks

Hello, Sammy. Thank you very much for your response again regarding our case where I am an USC and my husband is awaiting the approval of I-485. In October of last year we have filed and I-130 and I485 in our local Field office in Downtown L.A.

We then have received a letter from the saying that they have received the documents, but they don't give any case # like the Service Center in Laguna Niguel does, so there is no way we can check the status electronically or get any info over the phone.

The information regarding 180 days I received from another immigration site www.immigrationlinks.com and www.shusterman.com
    They both list on the front page under "Immigration Local Office Processing times" how long it takes in Los Angeles to process the I-485. BTW, my husband has received his Authorization for Employment in less than a month and a half from the time we filed for him(we filed for EDD same time when I-130 and I-485 were file). So, this is where I got an idea that it takes that long to be approved.

The reason it's important to know is because my husband is trying to go to college and in order to qualify for a Federal loan, he has to be a green card holder. Federal loan has much less percentage rate, so it's important for us to get that kind of a loan instead of a private loan.

And as far as going for an interview, for us it really doesn't matter if we do or we don't. We are legitimately married and have not problems answering any type of questions. Do you still think we need to spend some time reviewing something. I just don't know what to excpect. But I think that for people that are living ligitimately, nothing would be a problem. Agree?

Thanks

Comment

Sorry, Sammy. I mean to say EAD

BTW, are you an attorney?

Comment

com2la

I think yr husband can apply for financial aid using his EAD since he has his Alien number on his EAD..right ???????????????

Comment

TO: COM2LA,

Hi COM2LA, Happy Mother's Day to you.

If you like to know for sure how long it will take yr husband'S case then you have to write to the INS and ask them that you are inquiring the status of his application(I-485) since you did not receive Notice of Action on that. You need to provide yr husband's full name as it is named on the application alongwith his date of birth, and which country he is from. INS will definately respond you in this request and will also provide you the receipt# and Alien #. If i were you, i would do that, to know for sure the processing time.

As far as employment authrization document(EAD) and Advance Parole are concerned, everyone can get it as long as you have pending application I-485. Advance parole is granted on the same day of applying and work permit is granted within 2-8 weeks depends the work load of that INS office.

Pl. never tell the INS about your husband's intention of green card, i mean that the purpose of receiving federal loan since INS will definately ask yr husband that if he ever sought out any public(govt) help and if they find out that he did receive some kind of public help then they will deny his green card application even though he married to you (a u.s.citizen). I do know that he had not applied yet anything like that and only thinking after obtaining the p.residency. But, i must tell you that the law has been changed in 1998 about receiving the public help by a p.resident, because now, a p.resident can not seek any public aid whatsoever.

I must also tell you that marrying with a us citizen does not give a automatic right for p.residency to a alien( yr husband). I do know that both of you know everything about each other since your marriage is a bonafide marriage, but govt(INS)does not know that, and burden on both of you to prove the validity of this marriage as a bonafide marriage, that's why you need to prepare yourself ahead of time because if something goes wrong then yr husband would end up in limbo situation and then the journey of big fight with govt. would start for him to stay here and you do not wanna live without him, do you? So, be considerate about it. Both of you, must need to go together at the interview otherwise application would be denied in your absence and a deportation order would issued for him. There is lots of other ground of denial which he needs to overcome in order to have green card and marrying with you is not enough. I am here, if you need any type of help? By the way, do you or yr husband from mexican origin?

Comment

Hi, Sammy! Thanks again for your reply

Thanks for the congratulations on Mother's Day

Let me answer your last question first. No, we are not of Mexican origin. We are both from former U.S.S.R. (I am from Ukraine (been here almost 26 years years) and my husband is from Belarus (he is going on his 4th year).

I am sorry you misunderstood my statement regarding the loan. My husband is not seeking a public assistance, but a loan through the federal government that has a lower interest rate. It's not a grant or anything like that. 100% of it has to be repaid.

The field office doesn't really send any NOA, only a letter stating that they have received our documents. It looks very different from the NOA from the Service Center (with the Statue of Liberty on it). Together with the letter, we've received a receipt of the payment that we made. My husband already has an A- number since he originally was here under an H1B and had his previous EAD. I would assume that A# will stay the same.

As far as the interview is concerned, I saw someone else asking what to expect at the interview and received a huge list on it. All that stuff that was mentioned, is not a problem for us, since we go through this every single day living our normal life, but I just can't even imagine what could be asked that we weren't be able to answer. I mean, what is the chance of that?

Probably none, since so many interviews with fake marriages, pass without a glitch too. Really, my main concern is not passing the interview, but when will the interview take place

Sammy, I am not like the other person who was challenging your knowledge, but I was just curious how do you know so much about the immigration process?

Thanks, again.

Comment

TO: COM2LA,

Thanks for yr reply.

I do know that sometimes i do make some typographical mistakes on my posts, but my only intention is to provide the best advise to the best of my abilities. I studied the immigration laws in New York University and wanted to become a immigration attorney, but due to changes in situation for personal reason, i am end up in clothing bussiness in New York. My experience came from when i was doing my internship during studying. My nature of helping others and passion towards this field, i still devote great deal of my time helping others to the best of my abilities.

Thesedays, INS does not have enongh time to spend on only one case at the time of interview, therefore, mostly interview lasts only 10-20 minutes only, and believe me they do not ask any thing about the marriage but they do ask about the information on I-485 to find out that if it true or correct or not because if not then you have a chance to correct it at the time of interview. The only time INS would spend enough time on a case when something looks FISHY, for example if huge age gap between the spouses, or someone look like homeless and came in at interview without proper dress or have drink or drug at the interview, then they feel something suspiciously.

Well anyway, I am right now 27 yrs old and single and looking for true love, if you know some nice single woman then let me know. I am just kidding, i hope you do not mind it. Sorry for that.

Comment

Sammy, you are too funny! You didn't tell me of what nationality woman you are looking for. LOL!
                I am kidding too. I lived in NYC too in the '80's and worked at the World Trade Center on the 96th floor.

What country did you come from or were you born here?

Thanks for telling me about your background. I wasn't asking about your ability in law, just wondered where do you get all this knowledge.

thanks on a feedback about the interview. In my case I wouldn't worry about it even if we stayed there for 3 hours

See, the thing is that the place where my husband is going to study is giving him a private loan with a very high interest rate, but they said that if during the time he'll be in school, he will get his green card, they will be able to switch the loan to a federal one where the interest rate is much lower. So, even if he gets his GC a month before graduation (in June of '04), they can still transfer the loan. May of '04 will be 17 months from the time we filed the I-485, so I hope it'll be around that time, but not later. Who knows

Ok, Sammy. It was great chatting. I appreciate all the info you gave me. Thank you very very much.

Good luck to you and talk to you later

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed