No announcement yet.

Processing Time? GREEN CARD related questions? PLEASE HELP!!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    It depends on where you are but typically about 1 year to 18 months to get your conditional green card.

    After that you'll have to remove the conditions of your green card before it expires, 2 years after you receive permanent residency.
    1 year after that you can apply for citizenship as long as you're still married.


    • #17
      To reiterate what Marie says, how long it takes to get conditional GC and all that depends. We can't really tell you approximately how long it will take you to get your conditional GC, application for removal of the conditions and when you can apply for citizenship. It all depends on when you file.

      If you want a general idea of how long it takes you, take a look at the "Processing time" link provided at this web page. Firstly, you will have to know which Service Center you have to file your I485 package. Once you know which service center you have to file, the service center will tell you what dates of the various application forms they are processing. All of the service centers pretty much have different processing times, some shorter, some longer. You really have no choice if you want to file at a Service Center with shorter/recent dates because it all depends where you live. The only way I can think of if you want to have a faster process is if you move to a state where the Service Center have jurisdiction over.

      From your original question, if you really want to travel and come back safely, it is a good idea to not travel abroad until you get your unconditional GC. You might also keep this in mind that I hear that may benefit you: If your interview date is after your 2nd yr. marriage anniversary, and if you pass the interview, you will be granted an Unconditional GC. But if your interview is before your 2nd yr marriage anniversary, then you will be given a conditional GC (if you pass it of course). If you get a conditional, then you have no choice but to wait and file to get the conditions removed.

      All in all, just because once you're granted a conditional GC and get Advanced parole doesn't mean you won't be able to come back, it depends on Advance Parole restrictions. You should look into the limitations of Advanced Parole and assess the risk yourself, and of course what your lawyer recommends. Since you're already working with a lawyer, its best to seek all of your answers from your lawyer. Your lawyer is the one who knows the laws and can give you a better idea of what needs to be done and how long it may take.

      Good luck.


      • #18
        I agree with rams except on one point. Once you get your conditional green card, you can travel safely out of the country. You don't have to wait until you get the 10 year one.

        You can travel with an AP if you haven't overstayed your visa to begin with. Say you came on the VWP and you didn't overstay, you got married and then filed your paperwork, it's safe to say that you could travel on an AP without any problem.
        But if you did overstay by180 days or more, you could be subject to the 3/10 year ban if you leave the country and they may not let you back in


        • #19
          Oops, Marie is right concerning the Advanced Parole and how it may affect your status. I was too engrossed with the inquiry I wasn't being objective enough. Just remember there are risks in your case simply because you have overstayed.


          Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

          Home Page

          Immigration Daily


          Processing times

          Immigration forms

          Discussion board



          Twitter feed

          Immigrant Nation


          CLE Workshops

          Immigration books

          Advertise on ILW



          About ILW.COM

          Connect to us



          Immigration Daily