Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educated guesses on Bush's plan

I am wondering if those illegals who would be eligible to receive Bush's proposed work visa would be able to adjust status through marriage to a US citizen without leaving the country. I know that it is just a proposal that has yet to go though congress, so nobody knows any details. However, is there anyone that could offer an educated guess? The reason I ask is that my husband will most likely qualify for it if it passes. Would we still have to go back to Mexico and file the hardship waiver etc. when his visa expired?

PS I am not interested in opinions on whether or not it WILL pass. I just want to know what people will be able to do with it IF it does.
    Have a nice day

I am wondering if those illegals who would be eligible to receive Bush's proposed work visa would be able to adjust status through marriage to a US citizen without leaving the country. I know that it is just a proposal that has yet to go though congress, so nobody knows any details. However, is there anyone that could offer an educated guess? The reason I ask is that my husband will most likely qualify for it if it passes. Would we still have to go back to Mexico and file the hardship waiver etc. when his visa expired?

PS I am not interested in opinions on whether or not it WILL pass. I just want to know what people will be able to do with it IF it does.
    Have a nice day

Comment

I don't see why your husband wouldn't be able to initiate AOS proceedings once he's qualified and granted the work visa. USCIS has granted those who has overstay status and denied it only to those who has entered illegaly and who technically had never obtained legal status of any kind to begin with. By obtaining the work visa, your husband has corrected his illegal status, and should be adjust. If thats the case, even if his temporary work visa expires, he should be allright because by then his status will be an adjustee (ie: he won't have to leave the US).

The only portion which I'm not sure how it'll played out is dubya's insistence that this is not an amnesty. If its not a blanket amnesty, it means there'll be string & requirements attached to it. One thing we know for sure is that it'll only be offered in position where an USC worker is not available. Whether another requirement is that it'll requires the illegals to return to Mexico first,etc? well, nobody but him and his adviser knew the answer to that one.

Comment

Thanks for the opinion. That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking, but I wanted to see what other people thought. My husband works in a restaurant. Do you think that sort of work would fall under the initiative? Would it be considered unskilled labor?
        Have a nice day

Comment

Don't get too excited yet. Once it hits congress and details start geting worked out -- it's gonna turn into a total bloodbath of an argument. Even after it's hammered out -- a council and team from the DHS needs to go through it to make sure it won't be littered with fraud and audit it before it becomes law. That'll take 1-2 years right there.

I see like 9 million loopholes in this new "program" right off the top of my head. I cna't think of ANY reason why ANY illegal can't become legal through this program. Hence why it's an "amnesty".

-= nav =-

Comment

Moondin, I specifically stated that I did NOT want to know peoples opinions on whether or not it will pass. You just couldn't resist, could you?

Of course any illegal would be able to become "legal." That's the point. Not any illegal, however, would be able to gain permanent residence, which is why it might actually have a chance of passing. Call it whatever you want to call it. You have a right to your opinion, but frankly, I'm not in the least bit intersted in what you think.
            Have a nice day

Comment

I would imagine position such as waiter, janitorial, etc will definitely fall to unskilled worker category. Cook/chef might not be since those are specialty position, afterall not everyone can become a good cook.

Since dubya stated that this position will only be offered to illegals when there's no US worker available, I wonder how are they going to implement it? Is it like H1-B where prospective employer must advertise the position, or does employer have to signup with either USCIS/Labor dept and let them do the prescreening? Either way, I just hope this wouldn't be another one of those that got bogged down and lagged thanks to bureaucracy and red tape. And what will happen to the illegals that register but doesn't qualify (since no one is automatically qualified)? Best case scenario, they'll just go back to their life. Worse case scenario, USCIS will use their information to "round em up" so to speak.

Comment

My husband is one position down from chef.
                Have a nice day

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed