Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here as Tourist -- Now Married to US Citizen -- Can I leave the country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Your case,
    file for Visa petition (i-130)
    file for AOS (I-485)
    and wait for AOS, if your spuse file for petition you are ok.
    Under section 245a.13 you will not be deported. you can even take a permission to travel if you need.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Dont leave until you get your green card.
    If you must leave incase of emergency get a parole letter first.
    But if I was in your shoes I would not leave.
    Mr Red.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I agree with Marrie, do it as she suggested.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Many people have left the US for a honeymoon and one spouse was not able to return.
    Just because you are married to a USC does not mean they will let you in the country on a tourist visa, quite the contrary.

They don't like it when people enter the country as a tourist planning to immigrate. Being married to a USC, the officers will assess the risk of you immigrating and will come to the conclusion that it's pretty high.

What I would do is file for your adjustment of status. Once you've filed your paperwork, you can get a travel document and travel on it. That will allow you to return to the US with little risk of problems.

The safest thing is to file for your green card and wait until you get it to travel. That usually takes 18 months or so.

You can lie to the officers when you leave and come back but when it's time to file the paperwork, you'll have to give your marriage license and tell them when you entered. You'll have to cover a lot of tracks and probably have to tell lie upon lie to cover the fact that you didn't tell the INS officers you were married to a USC when you entered the second time.
    I would not bother with that. That can get you in a lot of trouble fast.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Some thoughts on it: INS doesn't care if you marry during your visitor stay. The problem is: if you overstay your visa, when you leave the US you'll be subject to a 3/10 yrs ban. This is triggered immediately upon your departure.
    If you are maintaining your status now, you can depart without any problem and possibly won't find trouble when coming back.If you overstayed your visa, it's highly recommended that you try to adjust your status BEFORE leaving the country.
    My best advice: seek legal assistance immediately. A lawyer would point out the best option to you.
    Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Help! I entered into the country with a valid tourist visa. I married an American citizen. Now, my husband and I want to go back to Chile for him to meet the rest of my family.

Should I try to adjust my status before I leave? Should I simply leave and try to come back in the country with my tourist visa (it is valid for 10 years)? Do I tell INS upon entry that I am married and show them a certified copy of my marriage certificate? Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• Here as Tourist -- Now Married to US Citizen -- Can I leave the country?

Help! I entered into the country with a valid tourist visa. I married an American citizen. Now, my husband and I want to go back to Chile for him to meet the rest of my family.

Should I try to adjust my status before I leave? Should I simply leave and try to come back in the country with my tourist visa (it is valid for 10 years)? Do I tell INS upon entry that I am married and show them a certified copy of my marriage certificate? Any ideas?
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney