Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permanent Residency - Granted for 10 years!! No removal of conditions??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Residency - Granted for 10 years!! No removal of conditions??

Hello,
    I am in california. I have been working on H1 for more than 5 years. I got married to a U.S citizen. We married this January 2002. We applied for Permanent Residency based on marriage to a citizen on July 2002. We were called for Interview on November. I was told that I will be receiving a conditional green card for 2 years (as our marriage is less than 2 years old. To our undertstanding, a 10 year greencard is granted initially only if the couple is married atleast two years before applying for permanent residency). But within 4 weeks, I was mailed my Permanent REsident card for 10 years with category IR6. So I was surprised and contacted my lawyer and he asked me to talk to a INS officer in the regional INS center. So talked to them, and they said that there is no mistake, and that it is ok. I even asked them to verify with their system, and they said it is not required and everything is fine, and I don't need to apply for Removal of conditions as the card is for 10 years.
    Now the part I don't understand is "How did I get eligible for this 10 year card without a 2 year conditional one?" . Some people say, don't sweat on it (including the information officer at INS - Not the actual Officer) and just go with. My lawyer doesn't have any idea either. I'm a software engineer. Is there any other conditions based on certain criteria allow me to get a 10 year card like this? Should I be worried that later it will come back to me with problems? Please let me know.

Thanks

Hello,
    I am in california. I have been working on H1 for more than 5 years. I got married to a U.S citizen. We married this January 2002. We applied for Permanent Residency based on marriage to a citizen on July 2002. We were called for Interview on November. I was told that I will be receiving a conditional green card for 2 years (as our marriage is less than 2 years old. To our undertstanding, a 10 year greencard is granted initially only if the couple is married atleast two years before applying for permanent residency). But within 4 weeks, I was mailed my Permanent REsident card for 10 years with category IR6. So I was surprised and contacted my lawyer and he asked me to talk to a INS officer in the regional INS center. So talked to them, and they said that there is no mistake, and that it is ok. I even asked them to verify with their system, and they said it is not required and everything is fine, and I don't need to apply for Removal of conditions as the card is for 10 years.
    Now the part I don't understand is "How did I get eligible for this 10 year card without a 2 year conditional one?" . Some people say, don't sweat on it (including the information officer at INS - Not the actual Officer) and just go with. My lawyer doesn't have any idea either. I'm a software engineer. Is there any other conditions based on certain criteria allow me to get a 10 year card like this? Should I be worried that later it will come back to me with problems? Please let me know.

Thanks

Comment

You are set . no need to worry any thing, no condition at all. congrats.

Comment

So on what basis , did they give it for 10 years? Is there some criteria , that automatically removes the constrain of conditional greencard for me?

Comment

to guest:

You are so right!

Comment

Your card was issued and you tried to make sure all information was accurate. Write down the dates of your conversations when you called your lawyer and the INS. File everything away and forget about it. If anything should happen in the future, like the INS deciding to review it again, you will have your notes and you can refer to them. You can only go by what you have been told officially and that's what you're doing. Your honesty about this and the way you've handled your obligations to the INS in the past will give you the benefit of doubt if anything happens in the future

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation