Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving the USA for extended period of time.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the USA for extended period of time.

Hi,

I have a permanent resident card which expires in 2010. Recent family issues require me to return back to the UK for a 2 year period.

Will I be able to return to the USA using the visa, even though I have been away for two years?

Thanks

David

Hi,

I have a permanent resident card which expires in 2010. Recent family issues require me to return back to the UK for a 2 year period.

Will I be able to return to the USA using the visa, even though I have been away for two years?

Thanks

David

Comment

if you want a honest answer: "no"
      if you want the sugercoated kinda bull**** a la aguila and such "yes, sure...you'll be fine!"

Comment

any absence from the U.S. longer than 1 year will break "continuous presence" for LPR purposes. Even absences longer than 6 months may count against you. Since I'm sure you don't want to abandon your LPR status, if possible, take a trip to the U.S. as often as you can while you are in the U.K. and apply for a reentry permit (Form I-131) filed with the Nebraska Service Center.

Acelaw is correct; you may not be able to return using your LPR if you've been absent more than 1 year, since USCIS regards this as abandoning your LPR status.

Comment

All you have to do is return at least once every 6 months. Shouldn't be that hard.

-= nav =-

Comment

Actually, you should return every 5th month and 30th day. If you return at each 6 month mark, it may count against you. Again, apply for a reentry permit

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation