Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE NEED HELP WITH OUR EAD!

Hi, I am an American Citizen who married an El Salvadoran national in May of 2002. We applied for a change of status and for an Employment Authorization (EAD) at the same time with the New York City office. The INS received the documents on 7/12/02 (according to the Certified Mail receipt), and we haven't gotten the general receipt as of yet (10/3/02)! However, my wife's appointment for her EAD was set for 12/13/02 (The EAD letter was sent 9/9/02).

According to the INS website and the EAD instructions, "If you have not received a decision within 90 days of receipt by the INS of a properly filed EAD application...you may obtain interim work authorization by appearing in person at your local INS district office."

When does the clock start ticking? When the INS first processes the application, or when the post office states that the INS received the documentation.

We are getting desperate that my wife has been home for 4 months and cannot work (including not being able to get her driver's license, Social Security Card, or even be on my insurance that requires Social Security and/or Immigration papers) all because we don't have any INS documentation yet!

Thanks,
    Desperate in NY

Hi, I am an American Citizen who married an El Salvadoran national in May of 2002. We applied for a change of status and for an Employment Authorization (EAD) at the same time with the New York City office. The INS received the documents on 7/12/02 (according to the Certified Mail receipt), and we haven't gotten the general receipt as of yet (10/3/02)! However, my wife's appointment for her EAD was set for 12/13/02 (The EAD letter was sent 9/9/02).

According to the INS website and the EAD instructions, "If you have not received a decision within 90 days of receipt by the INS of a properly filed EAD application...you may obtain interim work authorization by appearing in person at your local INS district office."

When does the clock start ticking? When the INS first processes the application, or when the post office states that the INS received the documentation.

We are getting desperate that my wife has been home for 4 months and cannot work (including not being able to get her driver's license, Social Security Card, or even be on my insurance that requires Social Security and/or Immigration papers) all because we don't have any INS documentation yet!

Thanks,
    Desperate in NY

Comment

I got my EAD here in SFO at the day I filed the I-485/I-130. I filed in person.

Good luck and God bless.

Comment

I think you have to wait till you get the INS reciept. Certified mail reciept is just a reciept that you mail certain documents to INS.
        I mailed my I-485 and I-765 to VSC on Sept.9th, INS recieved it on the 11th and I got the reciept on the 24th. That means it takes really awhile. One thing I noticed though is the manner of payment. Did you pay it with personal check?? if yes, it will take while because of the clearing. I paid mine with cashier's checks.
        HOpe this will help,just be patient.
        Goodluck!

Comment

NY, Federal Plaza does not give any formal receipt like an NOA that one would normally get from a Service Center. The only proof of I-485 filing I have is a cash receipt (filed by my lawyer). Since you mailed in your application, the cancelled check you sent would be your only proof. Hope this helps.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation