Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost GC, do I need to wait for replacement to travel?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost GC, do I need to wait for replacement to travel?

I have been LPR for 20+ years and I lost my GC.
    I would like to travel to my Country, do I need to get a replacement GC (which takes 12-14 months where I live) before I leave?

Or the INS will just stamp my passport to allow me to travel without my GC?

Your GC card is your ticket to get back in the country. What do you expect to tell the INS when you are coming back in the country?

Comment

why INS wont stamp my passport, so I can get back in..... those people going to AOS interview and getting a stamp in the passport can travel without their GC and they are only Conditional GC holder...why not me..I have been LPR for 24 years...

INS can just check in their computer and see that I am really a LPR and stamp my passport in that way I could travel...

Comment

I am not sure if INS would stamp your passport so you can travel...

Comment

When you will apply for replacement of GC by filing I-90, the INS will stamp your valid passport "Processed for I-5512. Temporary evidence of permanent resident". With this stamp, you an work and travel both. Your GC will come in about 11 months to one year. But for travel stamp is enought. Make sure that you do stay out of USA more than 6 months and in real emergency more than one year. Good Luck.

Comment

Thank you Tanny, I am so glad that I am not gonna have to wait months before I travel!

You said "Make sure that you do stay out of USA more than 6 months and in real emergency more than one year"
            ...I guess you meant, no more than 6 months out of The US and no more than one year for emergency, right?

Thank You,

Marietta.

Comment

So once I send the I-90, how long to get stamped?

Comment

Actually when you can stay out upto one year but for six months at the port of entry no question is asked but in case of one year you may have to justify that you were out for one year to taking care of some emergencies such as illness of immediate family member of your self etc. However, if you are planning to stay out more than one year than you should apply for re-entry permit before you leave the USA.

Comment

ok, thanks.

I am just going for 2 weeks, so its ok.

Thank You Tanny.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board