Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help to help brother

I HAVE A BROTHER WHO IS SERVING AN 18 MONTH SENTENCE FOR GRAND LARCENY . HE WAS 6 MOTHS INTO HIS SENTENCE WHEN HE WAS VISITED BY THE INS WITH A NOTICE TO APPEAR BUT NO COURT DATE AS OF YET. HE IS SCHEDULED TO GET OUT OF STATE CUSTODY ON DECEMBER 1,2003 THEN BE TAKEN TO A FEDERAL HOLDING PLACE. HE HAS BEEN A LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT FOR 30 YEARS HAS 3 SONS WHICH ONE OF THEM IS DECEASED. INS HAS CLASSIFIED HIM I GUESS AS AN AGGREVATED FELON FOR RECEVING OVER A YEAR SENTENCE BUT HE IS ONLY SERVING 9 MONTHS. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS THERE ANYTHING HE CAN DO TO STAY IN THE USA OR WILL HE BE DEPORTED BACK TO SCOTLAND. WILL HE GET A BOND EVEN. THIS IS SO UPSETTING TO ME HE IS MY ONLY BROTHER AND IT WOULD DEVESTATE AREE FAMILY. ALSO ANY ADVICE FOR ATTORNEYS THAT ARE REASONABLE OR WILLING TO HELP. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME WILL AWAIT ANYONES REPLY.

I HAVE A BROTHER WHO IS SERVING AN 18 MONTH SENTENCE FOR GRAND LARCENY . HE WAS 6 MOTHS INTO HIS SENTENCE WHEN HE WAS VISITED BY THE INS WITH A NOTICE TO APPEAR BUT NO COURT DATE AS OF YET. HE IS SCHEDULED TO GET OUT OF STATE CUSTODY ON DECEMBER 1,2003 THEN BE TAKEN TO A FEDERAL HOLDING PLACE. HE HAS BEEN A LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT FOR 30 YEARS HAS 3 SONS WHICH ONE OF THEM IS DECEASED. INS HAS CLASSIFIED HIM I GUESS AS AN AGGREVATED FELON FOR RECEVING OVER A YEAR SENTENCE BUT HE IS ONLY SERVING 9 MONTHS. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS THERE ANYTHING HE CAN DO TO STAY IN THE USA OR WILL HE BE DEPORTED BACK TO SCOTLAND. WILL HE GET A BOND EVEN. THIS IS SO UPSETTING TO ME HE IS MY ONLY BROTHER AND IT WOULD DEVESTATE AREE FAMILY. ALSO ANY ADVICE FOR ATTORNEYS THAT ARE REASONABLE OR WILLING TO HELP. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME WILL AWAIT ANYONES REPLY.

Comment

It is always a good idaea, now more than ever, to apply for citizenship as soon as one qualifies, so that they don't risk loosing their residency in the future. This is the sort of case that depends a lot on the peopl ewho will be handling it. You really need to talk to an attorney. Bond may be available, but it will be high and if you want to use a "bondsman" the percentage posted will need to be high because such a large percentage of immigrants do not appear at the hearings.

Comment

>LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT FOR 30 YEARS

and he never applied for citizenship?? What -- he's still in the "deciding" phase?

Well now he's got a lot of paperwork to do. I doubt he'll get deported, due to him being here so long -- but he's gonna have to get a lawyer now to do all the paperwork for the trial, etc.

-= nav =-

Comment

thankyou for your responses. well he came here as a child and never knew he was an alien but he is legal to be here. also i am in no condition to hand out money for an attorney . lord i really don't know what i could do for him. well any insight would be grateful or anyone who has been through immigration court.. also will he get a bond? this is just so overwhelming. thanks

Comment

Honestly, without money there is very little you can do for your brother. He needs a lawyer big time.

Comment

I don't mean this as a criticism but you said he came here as a child, didn't know he was an alien, but he is legal to be here. How is he legal and didn't become citizen? Did he just recently find out he wasn't a citizen? I'm confused.

Comment

30 years permanent resident. Already had 3 sons. It only takes like 1 flippin' year or so to become a USC. He couldn't have done that already by now? Most LPR's become citizens asap when they're able to. I mean why not?

You *sure* he's legal and/or something else you're ommitting here?

-= nav =-

Comment

what i am saying is he never thought he had to do anything about his status he was never told to other wise. and yes i do agree that if you are lpr you should get citizenship. this is just a horrible situation for my family and i came here looking for some advice or any ray of hope technically i think there is none thankyou god bless each and evryone of you for your thoughs

Comment

Good luck, Julie, I wish the best for your brother and your family.

Comment

If you contactimmigration enforcement for his area, you may find that the bond amount has already been set, and at least you will know what it is. Expect $10,000-$20,000. Many lawyers charge a nominal fee for a cosultation, and they can let you know what is common in your area. Or you can check USCIS.GOV website and look for non-profit legal groups in your area. Most areas hava a Catholic Legal Services that offer immigration help.

Comment

is there a bond for criminal aliens or are they detained.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation