Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I lived here 24 years and now I have a question?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lived here 24 years and now I have a question?

Hi everyone,

I have a Green card that was issued to me in 1980. I don't think I have to renew it but with all the changes now I wonder. Also I wanted to file for citizenship but for some reason I had waited and waited. I really should do it now.
    Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I have a Green card that was issued to me in 1980. I don't think I have to renew it but with all the changes now I wonder. Also I wanted to file for citizenship but for some reason I had waited and waited. I really should do it now.
    Thanks.

Comment

Is this a question or an answer?

Comment

Old greencards had no expiration date.
        So, yes, it is still valid.
        You can contact INS and ask if you should apply for newer one.
        In re: of Citizenship-make sure you consult GOOD immigration lawyer.
        Be sure that you have NO past convictions or wrongdoings.
        If INS,upon intense background check-up, finds ANYTHING even as old as 24 years they might put you in deportation proceedings and then it is all over with.
        So, just consult a good Immigration lawyer and if everything is ok then apply for your Citizenship as soon as you can.

Comment

Wow, Thank you so much for your answer. I did not know that even matter that happen as long as over 15 yrs ago can effect decision. Wonder why is that.

Comment

E,

Will speeding ticket, the one where you have to go to the court, fall under that category of past conviction ?

I ask this because on my drivers record that I got from BMV, its says "CNV" against my speeding ticket, and I assume that means convicted.

I did go to the court and pleaded guilty of going above speed limit.

Comment

One speeding ticket probably will not hurt you.
              Have a nice day

Comment

I have 2. In both the instances I had to appear before the judge.

I am worried.

Comment

simple traffic violations are no disqualifiers for naturalization. So don't worry AK.

Justagirl: the reason why it's important to consult an attorney if there are any brushes with the law is the retroactive part of the law. It has eliminated the statute of limitation (of 3/5 or 10 yrs.), that means that if you were convicted (and the difinition of a conviction has been changed too) of a disqualifying crime you remain technically ineligable for naturalization for indefinite time. Remedies, waivers and reliefs are available for some cases, but most are pretty much final.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation