Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need legal advice please

I posted before, but didn't get any response. Basically, I want to know if hiring a lawyer would help my case, or if it would just be a waste of money.

My situtation is the following: I'm a USC married 3 years to an immigrant. We petitioned for his green card 2 years ago, and had our interview 1 year ago. The officer did not doubt the validity of our marriage. The problem is I was previously married to another immigrant (just coincindental, I wasn't trying to start a habit out of this). Anyway, after we had separated, but before we actually divorced, my ex fraudently obtained a permamenent greencard by forging my signature and submitting a statement that claimed our marriage was in good standing. I knew nothing of this until our INS interview a year ago with my present husband. The officer suspected the signature was not mine and had me provide several samples of my own along with a sworn statement. Then he said it would just be a matter of procedure....my ex-husband's file would be re-opened, investigated and possibly go to the immigration court. But, until it had passed through investigations and exonerated me from this whole mess, my current husband could not receive a greencard or permission to leave the country.

Well, a year has gone by and we have heard nothing more on the status of his case. We have contacted the INS office repeatedly and gotten nowhere. We were told to just wait it out and that there was nothing we could do to speed things up. Is this true? We were thinking of hiring an attorney to see if maybe it could be pushed through with a little pressure. Would this be a good idea, or could it backfire on us? We are not so well off financially, so hiring a lawyer is not a decision we can take lightly. We really need to know if threre is a chance that a lawyer could help get this case moving....if not, we really do not have the extra money to spend.

Are there any lawyers out there who could give me there opinions on this please. My husband is desparate to visit his country because he has 2 children there that he has not been able to see in over 3 years due to this pending application. (Legal laws in his country prevent him from being able to bring them here to visit either)

Thank you for your help!

I posted before, but didn't get any response. Basically, I want to know if hiring a lawyer would help my case, or if it would just be a waste of money.

My situtation is the following: I'm a USC married 3 years to an immigrant. We petitioned for his green card 2 years ago, and had our interview 1 year ago. The officer did not doubt the validity of our marriage. The problem is I was previously married to another immigrant (just coincindental, I wasn't trying to start a habit out of this). Anyway, after we had separated, but before we actually divorced, my ex fraudently obtained a permamenent greencard by forging my signature and submitting a statement that claimed our marriage was in good standing. I knew nothing of this until our INS interview a year ago with my present husband. The officer suspected the signature was not mine and had me provide several samples of my own along with a sworn statement. Then he said it would just be a matter of procedure....my ex-husband's file would be re-opened, investigated and possibly go to the immigration court. But, until it had passed through investigations and exonerated me from this whole mess, my current husband could not receive a greencard or permission to leave the country.

Well, a year has gone by and we have heard nothing more on the status of his case. We have contacted the INS office repeatedly and gotten nowhere. We were told to just wait it out and that there was nothing we could do to speed things up. Is this true? We were thinking of hiring an attorney to see if maybe it could be pushed through with a little pressure. Would this be a good idea, or could it backfire on us? We are not so well off financially, so hiring a lawyer is not a decision we can take lightly. We really need to know if threre is a chance that a lawyer could help get this case moving....if not, we really do not have the extra money to spend.

Are there any lawyers out there who could give me there opinions on this please. My husband is desparate to visit his country because he has 2 children there that he has not been able to see in over 3 years due to this pending application. (Legal laws in his country prevent him from being able to bring them here to visit either)

Thank you for your help!

Comment

I did respond to your previous posting, but there are alot of people wasting space with replies. Ok, if divorce was legal, then no problem. This can be done. You need a strong atty, not a weak one. I can alsway provide advice on my email immigrationsolutions@hotmail.com

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation