Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journalist seeking examples

I am a reporter for a major Florida newspaper and I am seeking examples of immigrants living in the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater area who have been detained under either the Patriot Act or the post-Sept. 11 registration requirements - peole who were never charged with any terrorist-related offenses but are now being held (or were held) on simple immigration violations. Please respond to susan@sptimes.com if you know of any such person. Thanks!

I am a reporter for a major Florida newspaper and I am seeking examples of immigrants living in the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater area who have been detained under either the Patriot Act or the post-Sept. 11 registration requirements - peole who were never charged with any terrorist-related offenses but are now being held (or were held) on simple immigration violations. Please respond to susan@sptimes.com if you know of any such person. Thanks!

Comment

So, what you're attempting to do is to "expose" some type of injustice, right?

Can you define "simple immigration violations"? Is that anything like "simple theft", or "simple rape", or "simple fraud"?

Are you somehow implying that breaking the law is okay...if you're an immigrant? YOU are the reason why "freedom of the press" should be tightened up a little bit. You're a dangerous individual.

Comment

I think Polaris' comment that I am a ""dangerous'' individual is unduly harsh, given that he or she doesn't know a thing about me. However, I regret the use of the word ""simple'' - I meant that only in the context of people who were initially detained on the suspicion of terrorist ties yet, as the government's own watchdogs have recently pointed out, have never been charged with anything.

Comment

People get picked up and aren't necessarily charged with many crimes. Maybe you should focus your energy on those who are on death row, waiting for their injection, who are INNOCENT. Put there because the cops were too lazy to actuall investigate the crime. DNA evidence is freeing people every day.

Don't get me wrong, I think the "Patriot Act" is a farce, and is unjust. BUT, a violation of law, if it truly IS a violation of law is wrong, and those who break the law should be punished.

So, are you one of these "racial profiling" screamers? Do you think we sould waste our resources on searching 90 year old women, or should we concentrate on those who are more apt to cause the crime? "Crime profiling" doesn't necessarily mean "racial profiling". The bottom line is 9-11 was pulled off by people of Middle Eastern roots, not by a 90 year old woman. I'm not saying that all, or even a majority of those from the Middle East have the views of those onboard those planes, so don't think this is a "racial" issue.

Bottom line, if you BREAK THE LAW, you pay the consequences! I wonder if you'd mind me perpetrating a minor offence toard you? Maybe taking a few thousand from your bank account? I don't think you'd like that, would you? Would you be mad if they held someone else, just to make sure?

I think it's good we're cracking down on illegal immigrants. They only give a bad name to those who do it legally!

Comment

Polaris_x,

You seem to give little consideration to the hundreds of innocent people who have been detained unjustly by the government after Sep 11. These people have been detained for months because they overstayed their visas. Overstaying a visa is comparatively a simple violation that doesn't require months of jail time. If I overstay my visa, I should be issued an NTA, appear in front of a judge who has the authority to put me in jail and deport me in a timeframe according to immigration laws. You don't go on detaining people for months without even releasing their names. It's just unconstitutional my friend. Therefore you can't do it. But it has been done and should be prevented from happening again and that's what susanskate is talking about. GOT IT!

Comment

I understand your point, and my personal beliefs aren't far from yours. I disagree with holding these people indefinitely, without formal charges. I disagree with them not getting legal representation. I disagree with not having their names releases (unless it's a case where releasing their names would tip off potential accomplices).

These people violated LAW, and should be put through the process of deportation, or whatever the process is. The fact is, we don't know "why" some of these people are being held longer than others. Perhaps they have done more than what's initially evident. I don't know, you don't know. BUT, that is part of the problem, isn't it? If we're not being told, then as a combat vet, and American citizen, my first response is to question "why". That's where you and I are on the same page.

As I said before, I think the Patriot Act is a sham, and I believe it was a sad day, when it go passed into law. But, we need to remember these simple truths. Republicans want everyone in jail, while Democrats want nobody in jail. The Republicans stand for open gun policies, while the Democrats are anti-gun. See how this works together as a whole? The Republicans turn us all into criminals. Then the Democrats come in and pass all these laws to disarm America. They do this by adding more and more "crimes" to the list of those that disallow gun ownership. Eventually, we'll all have some type of record, and we'll be systematically disarmed. Then, without the 2nd Amendment, all others are in jeopardy. Remember, the 2nd is the only one that guarantees all others. BOTH major political parties are inherently "evil", if you ask me.

So, as far as investigating the Patriot Act, I'm for it. But, I'm tired of the perpetrator's being made out to be the victims...in all crime. They broke the law. Why? Were they up to something shady to begin with? Those are the questions I ask. If I find someone hiding in MY house, I'm going to want to know just what the hell he or she was up to. Wouldn't you?

Comment

Polaris, have you ever committed any crimes, ones that you later regreted for having done?

Comment

Yes, and I don't blame anyone BUT myself. What I did was wrong, and I took full responsibility. I was 19 at the time, and it truly was a dumb decision, but one I'd do again, if I had to.

Why?

Comment

LOL Polaris_x!

Comment

Hey, my decision I made was VERY wrong, and it cost me dearly. But, like I said, I'd do it all over again, because at the time it was the "right" thing for me to do in that situation.

I don't blame anyone else. I don't hold hard feelings toward the law, or those that represent it. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, I'm not trying to get sympathy for what I did. It was my choice. I chose wrong. I suffered, and moved on.

I don't have any sympathy for anyone who breaks the law, no more so than I have sympathy for myself for breaking the law. It's simple. I learned in the military not to hold your peers or subordinates to anything I'm not willing to do myself. That goes for "blame" and "responsibility" as well. Life is not about making excuses, but rather finding solutions to problems.

Comment

You mean you'd love to have the mindset you had back there?

Comment

...back then

Comment

I don't follow your question. Please elaborate.

Comment

I guess this thread just became somewhat moot...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...acks_detainees

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation