Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding a sponsorship of a spouse

Hello. I have a questions regarding a sponsorship of a spouse.

Can a person who is receiving an SSI and no other income, sponsor his future wife and her child. His SSI pays less than what the poverty line guidelines show and nothing there mentions about people who are on pansion. It only mentions which docs needed if a sponsor is employed. So, if this person cannot sponsor his wife and her child, then can he still marry her and someone else can sponsor them? Thanks.

This question is only for those who really know what I am talking about and not for those who are only guessing. I am not trying to be mean, but sometimes people just answer something just to say something, if you know what I mean.

Thank you.

Hello. I have a questions regarding a sponsorship of a spouse.

Can a person who is receiving an SSI and no other income, sponsor his future wife and her child. His SSI pays less than what the poverty line guidelines show and nothing there mentions about people who are on pansion. It only mentions which docs needed if a sponsor is employed. So, if this person cannot sponsor his wife and her child, then can he still marry her and someone else can sponsor them? Thanks.

This question is only for those who really know what I am talking about and not for those who are only guessing. I am not trying to be mean, but sometimes people just answer something just to say something, if you know what I mean.

Thank you.

Comment

You have to have an income that is 125% above the poverty line, no matter how you get your income. The only exception is if you are on active duty in the military, in which case you only have to have an income that is 100%. You must fill out the sponsorship application, but if you do not have a high enough income, then you can get a joint-sponsor. This person has to make enough to support your wife and her child at 125%. You cannot combine your income and the joint-sponsor's income. If there is anyone else living in your house who has an income, you are allowed to count that income on your application as long as that person signs an agreement with you. You can find all of this information in clear English at the BCIS website. I believe it's http://www.BCIS.org.

Comment

Thank you , but really it's not for me. I am a female, so it's for someone who asked me post it here. Another question I have is if that lady with a child right now has a different case (political asylum) and she has a court date in March of next year, and if she gets married to that guy, can she just abandon the other case or does she still need to go to the hearing though she will already file under her husband who is a US Citizen.

Thank you.

Comment

I would say you definitely need a co-sponsor.

I get SSD and have a co-sponsor for my husband.

Unfortunately, There is a difference between SSI and SSD. SSD is based on one's work history and past earnings. Also, on SSD I can earn up to $800.00 per month plus earn the money for any medical expenses that allow me to work and still receive an SSD check.

SSI...well...

I filed my AOS with co-sponsor included as I knew I was below the poverty line. My husband has four children, but I only filed for him.

Unless you just file for your husband, your co-sponsor's income would have to cover both your husband and the child, plus his own dependents. Our co-sponsor is married (LPR) with two children, and his wife's income is included as his household member.

It's hard enough finding a co-sponsor for an adult. Not many people would want to take on the finacial responsibility of a child also. Imagine if the husband or child needed medical care and had to use Medicaid. Think about the medical expenses with children. The co-sponsor would have to reimburse the System. Can someone please tell us how long a co-sponsor is financially obligated?

There's no sense in going to the interview knowing they will ask for a co-sponsor if you are below poverty line. This will just drag out the case longer, though, sometimes, that can be a good thing. (See posts on Conditional Residency.)

As I recall, if I did my taxes right, my SSD was not considered income on my tax returns. Since my SSD did not show up on any documents, I wrote an addendum about how much I receive from SSD and how I consider it income.

I have been warned that we can't get any government help or it will mess up our case. Welfare, medicaid, food stamps, Section-8, etc. I have requested a list of the restrictions on this site before, but never got a response. I will post that question after this reply.

The INS officer asked both of us if we are receiving any government help and ran down a list. We have received no government help. I only work sporadically, and with hubby not being able to work, it's been rough. At times I wished I could get some emergency food stamps, but I didn't dare.

INS asked us how much our rent is, how we pay our bills. She was rapid firing her questions at us so quick, I barely had time to respond yes or no, some questions, I couldn't even respond to before she jumped to another one. I think we were her last interview of the day, she was obviously in a hurry.

anyhow, she said we were all set, just waiting for the background checks.

I hope this was of some help. I'm not an expert, but I have been through the process. Hopefully, Sammy or Umesh will throw in a comment. Good luck. Don't give up, it never hurts to try.

Comment

Sponsor/co-sponsor is financially responsible for an alien until that alien becomes USC.

Comment

Josephine, thank you very much. So, from your comments, I gathered that these people should not get married because of this problem? The guy is receiving an SSI and has Section 8. I offered to be their co sponsor, but now I don't know if it's all worth it.

Thank you, again.

Comment

deport illegal aliens

Comment

Sammy or Umesh?

Comment

Currious:

I never said they could or couldn't adjust status. I do feel they need a co-sponsor.

If they can't get an answer on this board,
                    they need to consult a lawyer about the SSI issue. Either over the phone or pay about $150.00 for a consultation. We did this, and the lawyer told us we can't get government benefits. She never said we couldn't adjust, just insinuated it.

As far as co-sponsoring them, it all depends on how well you know them.

Why would these problems keep them from getting married? People who love each other marry!
                    ????????????????????????????????????????????!!!

Comment

http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums?a=...1&m=1556088242

Comment

Link to instructions for form I-864. Affidavit of Support

Go to page 2 of this. Maybe the guy on SSI has assets.

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...iles/I-864.pdf

Comment

Someone responded to my other post to Sammy.

This link explains EVERYTHING!

http://www.usais.org/fileaffadavitofsupport.htm#whatare

Comment

Josephine, I am sorry, I didn't get back to your earlier. I just didn't think you would respond to my latest question. In the mean time, I called the INS and got all the info from the Immigration Officer. The answer was the same as it is on the board.

Thank you so very much for trying to get an answer for me.

You are right, nothing should stop them to get married and they will. I am pretty sure of that. I just still don't know if I should sign the paper, though I know they now know the consequences if she or the daughter files for any benefits. Daughter is deaf, so the mother thought the daughter could receive some kind of disability benefits, but I guess not.

Anyway, I answered the other post to, the one addressed to Sammy.

Thanks, again.

Comment

I am deaf also, I formerly got help from Vocational Rehabilitation. I don't know if Voc Rehab is Federal or State, or if it is a means-tested program. they pay for hearing tests, hearing aides, and operations. They have also paid for my eye glasses. they also give job training, they paid for my Real Estate appraisal courses and traveling expenses.

I think the keyword above is Vocational. I would think you need to be of working age to use their resources.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation