Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC holder and study abroad

hi there, i'm a GC holder and i would like to study college abroad, do i need a special type of visa or re-entry visa when i come back to US? Is it true that I can only stay for 6 months abroad and must come back?

hi there, i'm a GC holder and i would like to study college abroad, do i need a special type of visa or re-entry visa when i come back to US? Is it true that I can only stay for 6 months abroad and must come back?

Comment

GC (Permanent resident) card is not that permanant as my attorney pointed out to me. It basically allows you to reside and work indefinately. However, there are so many things that a person can do to loose GC. Not residing in the U.S. constitute abadonment of GC. Temporary absence is ok. However, your principal abode should still be in the U.S. (such as paying rent, most of your belongings in the U.S. etc). If away for more than a year, then you should obtain a Reentry Permit (I think it's also called White Passport). You will hear people telling you that they just make one trip to U.S. in a year to "maintain" their GC. For some this may be working, but they are taking a risk.

I am assuming you want attend school overseas for a few years. I personally wouldn't recommend it until you become a U.S citizen. However, before taking any steps make sure to consult couple of different attorneys go get a thorough understanding of your situation.

Comment

If you intend to stay more than 6 months ouside the United States then you must apply and get Reentry Permit from the Immigration Department which can be issued for upto to two years.
        Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed