Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4now,
    I don't think he is still married in his country of origin. HE IS.That's not my opinion.That's the law in that country. Unless he or his ex-wife validate their divorce, they'll still be married, for legal effects.
    Nobody else can file for them. Only a lawyer is allowed to do that, with a power of attorney from one of them.
    The question is: why don't none of them seem to be willing to do that?
    Isn't that a sutile way to prevent the present spouse from validating their marriage and, therefore, protecting legal rights?
    Just a comment!
    Thanks for your feedback!

Comment

Mrs. Lonely Heart-

I beliueve that you are probably right about the laws of your unnamed South American country. As I said before (and contrary to 4now's comments) each country has the right to determine its own requirements for divorce, marriage, adoption, etc. GENERALLY, a country will abide by the laws of the location that had jurisdiction. However, there are exceptions. For example, two *** men marrying in the Netherlands will not be recognized as marrie din the US, even if the Netherlands properly had jurisdiction at teh time. Similarly, some countries might recognize only a civil ceremony, or conversely demand a religious ceremony, etc., etc. However, I would suspect if the process in your country is one of validating the original American decree, I would expect that the divorce would then be dated back to the date of the judgment, even if the validation took place much later. I agree that it is foolish for the people involved to just ignore the consequences. As for the property rights/division issues I could not give you an accurate answer even if I *knew* what country you were referring to. I do, however, find the issue fascinating and will look forward to an update. As for finding the answers, I would suggest seeking answers in a legal forum based in the country whos laws you are investigating. Good luck!

Comment

Katycab,

Believe it or not. I've been trying hard to find a forum where people can discuss about the issue, but it seems that in my country of origin, either the lawyers are not prepared to clarify questions on the issue discussed above, or only would they do that if they can charge you for that, even when they don't provide accurate or proper information.
        Hopefully, I'll find the answers through my research.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation