Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duration of Green Card being conditional

My husband has authorization to work now. He goes for his interview in about 6 months. At that point, is he given a Green card? ..and if so, is that Green Card conditional for 2 yrs (we must stay married 2 yrs) for him to get his Perm Green Card? If it works like this, does that mean that I have a good 2 yrs left to decide whether to divorce him or not? I understand that once he has his perm Green card, if we are married or divorced, I must support him for 10 yrs. Can anyone answer this for me? thanks

My husband has authorization to work now. He goes for his interview in about 6 months. At that point, is he given a Green card? ..and if so, is that Green Card conditional for 2 yrs (we must stay married 2 yrs) for him to get his Perm Green Card? If it works like this, does that mean that I have a good 2 yrs left to decide whether to divorce him or not? I understand that once he has his perm Green card, if we are married or divorced, I must support him for 10 yrs. Can anyone answer this for me? thanks

Comment

As long as the marriage was entered into in good faith, if you get divorced at anytime he can apply to get the conditions removed by himself. See the INS website li8nk below it will explain everything.

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

Comment

Thanks Guest...but the info. doesn't tell me if I am still suppose to support him for 10 yrs. if the conditional has been removed. Do you know if I'm liable for 10 yrs no mater what?

Comment

As far as I understand it, an Affidavit of Support filed with an Adjustment of Status is legally binding, which means that it is enforcable, but I am not sure if there is a way around it in the case of divorce.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed