Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship and the Army?

Hello, I am a permanent resident and I've lived here for 8 years. Last September I have signed up for the Army under the Delayed Entry Program (where I don't go to active duty for up to a year after signing up). In my case, I go to active duty on July 21st. I have also sent in my citizenship application in September with a copy of my Army contract included. Over the past few months I have changed my mind and decided that I want to get out of the Army. I have not been on active duty or basic training yet. Will this affect my citizenship application? If so, how? In the section F. of the citizenship application (N-400), question 31 asks "Have you EVER applied for any kind of exemption from military service in the U.S Armed Forces?" Would this be considered an exemption considering I volunteered in the first place?

Thank you

Hello, I am a permanent resident and I've lived here for 8 years. Last September I have signed up for the Army under the Delayed Entry Program (where I don't go to active duty for up to a year after signing up). In my case, I go to active duty on July 21st. I have also sent in my citizenship application in September with a copy of my Army contract included. Over the past few months I have changed my mind and decided that I want to get out of the Army. I have not been on active duty or basic training yet. Will this affect my citizenship application? If so, how? In the section F. of the citizenship application (N-400), question 31 asks "Have you EVER applied for any kind of exemption from military service in the U.S Armed Forces?" Would this be considered an exemption considering I volunteered in the first place?

Thank you

Comment

No.

Comment

Hello,

What MOS did you sign up for? I am curious because I am interested in DEP periods. I want to ship out as soon as possible after I sign up. I think a year in DEP is way too long... So if you are shipping out July 21st for Basic, your DEP was 10 months. Was that your decision or your MOS became available in 10 months?

What is the reason you want to drop out of DEP? If it is a legit reason like you have become physically or mentally disabled for the service, I don't think it would be a problem.
        SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

Comment

Originally I wanted to have a job as a computer hacker for the army. The official term for it is Electronic Warfare. The job requires a Top Secret clearance. However since I'm not a US Citizen, I can't get that clearance so therefore I can't get the job. 9 months ago I was told that if I still signed up, the Army would help speed up my citizenship so that I would be a citizen by the time I ship out. I learned that this was not true and since I can't have the job I want, I don't see a reason to stay in. Plus I want to go to college instead. That's why I want to drop out of DEP. The reason why my DEP was 10 months was because I was still in high school and I wanted a month's vacation after graduation.

Comment

Thomas, I wish you good luck, I believe you didn't come across a good recruiter in the first place man, everybody knows that while in DEP you are nothing... Whoever told you that they would expedite the citizenship application made a big mistake.

Well if you already don't know, go to this link:

http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTop...38&f=078192862

Here, there is a very good Army recruiter from KS, name Sgt. Terance Anderson. I usually ask him questions regarding Army. Let me know what he says...

Comment

Hey Thomas,
              I understand your position about changing your mind about joining the army. I am also hoping that your soul motivation was not citizenship benefits because like you I am on the way of getting my citizenship soon and I am in the army.

Your case is os similar to mine I was wondering if I had written this a long time ago and have forgotten about it.

I have a colege degree which is a requirement to being an officer in the army. I am also seeking citizenship.

There are very many merits to join the military and especially as an officer something that I think you should investigate. The education benefits are better than for a civilian. I was in a private college and some of my friends got their tuition($20,000) and board paid since they were in ROTC.

I was I were you I would get my self a good National Guard recruiter who I believe can pull you from the Army and get you into thr ARNG. There you can go to college and fulfill you obligation. You can join for the 4-4 option which is 4 years of a weekend every month and 2 weeks in the summer - then 4 years of no obligation just on paper.
              Trust me this will hardly affect your sevilian job. By the way the job you want to do for the arym is available and several of them. I am looking at an interview in Jan 2004 since I also wanted a break after graduating.

Best of luck and HOOAH!

Comment

Hi,

Are you applying for citizenship under the Executive Order ?

Comment

Yup! Two of my friends just got their citizenship.

Comment

How long did it take?

I am trying to get an estimate idea because I wanna be able to get in WOFT before I am 29...

What is your MOS?

Comment

I joined the Army so I could wear those cute dresses and shiny black pumps! But I flunked the medical cause of my hearing.

Comment

What is wrong with your hearing?

I believe they give you 25-30dB of beeps on different frequencies... Should be pretty audible... Did you lose your hearing somehow? On the other hand, sometimes there are problems with the earphones they give you or the room is not completely quiet... Did you check those too?

Comment

http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/immigdail...-employees.pdf

Comment

Guest, don't show IQ please! What are you trying to tell?

Comment

I'm sorry if this question is off topic but i'm new to this forum and recently have decided to take a serious step in becoming a citizen.

If i read correctly 2 of the individuals who posted above claimed to be in the process of getting their citizenship through the Army. I was under the impression that a requirement to join the army is that you have to be a US Citizen?

Also if anyone could asnswer these questions or at least guide me to the right direction i would highly appreciate it:

What is "DEP"?

And can someone please explain what citizenship under the Executive Order is/means?

Last but not least, is anyone aware of any citizenship programs for JOINING the army?
                              I'm 20 years on my first year of junior college ( seeking a computer science degree ). I've been in the US for exactly 10 years ( last month ), i'm in perfect health condition, speak 3 languages fluently, make $40,000 a year but am not a US CITIZEN. I've been told that the army might be able to help me if i devote at least 4 years. Is this accurate?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation