Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Now state agencies are more and more encouraged to check SSNs if they're valid or not. What I mean by "if they're valid or not" is whether the SSNs are registered with the Social Security Administration.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    In my experience, no, an illegal cannot file for unemployment. The ones I know who have filed have had social security get involved, because the number was bad or someone else's, or they went underground so quickly that the commission could not locate them. But remember, by the very term "illegal", you have summed the problem up -an illegal is neither supposed to be here nor supposed to be working. I don't mean to sound so harsh, but facts are facts. Benefits are privileges, not rights, and will not be received unless you are here legally, with your own valid identification. You said your EAD ran out and that you had been working with a valid SSN in the past. I'm guessing that you do not have a good SSN now? That will prevent you from receiving unemployment.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    what if the person have a valid SSN and had work permit before and then he got his case denied , No more work authorization, and now get lay-off?
    Is he still collect unemployment what he paid number of years..?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The OIG conducted a limited scope audit of the use of Social Security Number (SSN) verification techniques to identify ineligible Unemployment Insurance (UI) claimants. Computer programs were used to screen 4 states' (Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas) and claim files for claimants using SSNs in ranges not assigned by the SSA or using deceased persons' SSNs.

Some 2,927 claims totaling $3,206,675 were paid individuals who had filed for UI benefits under SSNs that had either not been issued or were issued to deceased individuals. Testing showed a substantial portion of these claims were filed by illegal aliens.

Adequate evidence of the legal status was obtained of 241 claims in the samples and found 54% (129) of the claimants were illegal aliens, who had improperly received $200,291 of UI benefits. Many claimants interviewed admitted using counterfeit identification to obtain employment and subsequent UI benefits.

Screening of UI claimants' SSNs would prevent millions of dollars in UI benefits from being misspent annually. Federal requirements establish that each claimant provide his or her SSN to the State Employment Security Agencies (SESAs) as a condition for UI benefits. Thus, benefits may not have to be paid to claimants who provide an invalid SSN until discrepancies are resolved.

Recommendations made to ETA included assisting the states in developing and implementing means of screening UI claimants for valid SSNs, and delaying or deferring benefit payments to claimants without valid SSNs. ETA should seek changes to immigration laws to allow states to delay payments to alien claimants where there are material discrepancies in alien information.

ETA responded that significant improvements could be made in areas that our audit report addressed. A UI directive is being prepared to deny payments to alien claimants who do not have reasonable evidence of satisfactory immigration status. Initiatives currently being considered includes on-line verification of SSNs and feedback to employers from the National Directory of New Hires. ETA disagreed with our recommendation that UI benefits should not be paid to individuals without valid SSNs. ETA's position is inconsistent with the Deficit Reduction Act of 1984 which requires that UI claimants provide their SSNs in order to receive benefits, and continue to recommend delay or deferral of benefits to claimants without valid SSNs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Employment benefits are not a dole out. It is not money given freely. Those are money taken from the employee together with employer's contribution in the form of unemployemnt tax. The purpose is to help the employee sustain life while unemployed. I do not beleive that availiing of the benefit will adversely affect the application with INS. The fact is that no free money is allowed to be given to illegals. Lately, food stamps are given to poor illegal by the Fed, and taking food stamps may affect the application because this is a dole out.The INS may think that you may be a public charge in the future.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    California does not allow unemployment benefits for illegals.There will be more problem in your petition now and in the future should you for some reason get some "benefits".

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I know here in our State of California, you can collect unemployment benefits if you have submitted a valid SS number to SSS and pay all the taxes required.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I recently got laid off. I am in process
    of getting an immigrant visa.
    Is it safe to collect unemployment.
    Can this effect my ability to get
    immigrant visa?

At a momemt, I do not have EAD.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Can an Illegle Alien Collect unemployment

Can an Illegle Alien Collect unemployment

I recently got laid off. I am in process