Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• umesh, mmorales, please help!

Please give your opinion on how I should go about my problem. I filed n-400 last month, just got a receipt from bcis. While looking over the copies at home, I realized that in Part 1, section C ("If you have ever used other names, provide them below") I forgot to put the name that I used when I got married (I now use a hyphenated name: my husband's last name - my maiden name). So I DIDN'T include the name that I've used 3 years ago, which is my husband's name as my last name and my maiden name as my middle name (I had driver's license in that name and got one speeding ticket too 3 years ago). Instead, I looked through the copies of my I-751 and found that there was a question there about other names used, and I listed one there, which was my husband's name as my last name and my maiden middle name as my middle name ( I haven't actually used this name, it was only used once on our lease and I included the copies of the lease with I-751, so I though it would be better to put it in "other names used"). So I put the same info on n-400 (stupid!).
    Now I don't know what to do. I called bcis, they told me to write NCS a letter with explanation. My question is whether I should tell them that I misspelled my middle name, and give them the correct one (in this case, if they have a copy of my I-751 and see the other middle name (husband's last name + my maiden middle name as my middle name), they'll think that I am hiding something by not including that other name, even though I didn't use it in my life), or to just tell them to add a new name to the list of other names used and give it to them. In any event, I don't want them to think that I'm trying to hide something (like Why didn't I include all names when I filed the application). Or should I just not do anything? The thing is, if they check my name and find out that I had a speeding ticket and didn't give them correct name (actually correct middle name), I don't know how that fact is going to affect my case. In any event, I don't want the application to be delayed for any reason, so I don't know how to solve this issue in a best possible way. I appreciate any ideas that you might have.

Please give your opinion on how I should go about my problem. I filed n-400 last month, just got a receipt from bcis. While looking over the copies at home, I realized that in Part 1, section C ("If you have ever used other names, provide them below") I forgot to put the name that I used when I got married (I now use a hyphenated name: my husband's last name - my maiden name). So I DIDN'T include the name that I've used 3 years ago, which is my husband's name as my last name and my maiden name as my middle name (I had driver's license in that name and got one speeding ticket too 3 years ago). Instead, I looked through the copies of my I-751 and found that there was a question there about other names used, and I listed one there, which was my husband's name as my last name and my maiden middle name as my middle name ( I haven't actually used this name, it was only used once on our lease and I included the copies of the lease with I-751, so I though it would be better to put it in "other names used"). So I put the same info on n-400 (stupid!).
    Now I don't know what to do. I called bcis, they told me to write NCS a letter with explanation. My question is whether I should tell them that I misspelled my middle name, and give them the correct one (in this case, if they have a copy of my I-751 and see the other middle name (husband's last name + my maiden middle name as my middle name), they'll think that I am hiding something by not including that other name, even though I didn't use it in my life), or to just tell them to add a new name to the list of other names used and give it to them. In any event, I don't want them to think that I'm trying to hide something (like Why didn't I include all names when I filed the application). Or should I just not do anything? The thing is, if they check my name and find out that I had a speeding ticket and didn't give them correct name (actually correct middle name), I don't know how that fact is going to affect my case. In any event, I don't want the application to be delayed for any reason, so I don't know how to solve this issue in a best possible way. I appreciate any ideas that you might have.

Comment

You can write them a letter explaining that by an oversight you forget to mention this name. At the time of interview, the interviewing officer will ask you if you want to add or change your name.
      Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed