Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took I20 at consulate, gave short student visa. Now what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took I20 at consulate, gave short student visa. Now what?

I would like to enter the United States from Argentina to begin a PhD program. My campus orientation and teaching assistant job start in 10 days at the University of California.

My I20 said "give 6 year visa". I got 11 months. My I20 also said "be sure to bring I20 to point of entry with visa and passport".

The consul took the I20, gave a short visa, and refuses to explain anything....even down to refusal to answer my question: "is my I20 in the sealed envelope that says 'to be opened by INS official at port of entry ONLY' "" ?

PLEASE HELP.

I will not risk refusal of entry if I do not discover the location of the I20. The consular worker in Buenos Aires says I will need to return to Argentina to reapply for a fall, 2003 visa; but the University says I can stay in the US after the 11 month visa expires and be legal based on the six year I20.

Are these rules written down somewhere? The university does not seem to agree with the State Department (in more ways than one).

I would like to enter the United States from Argentina to begin a PhD program. My campus orientation and teaching assistant job start in 10 days at the University of California.

My I20 said "give 6 year visa". I got 11 months. My I20 also said "be sure to bring I20 to point of entry with visa and passport".

The consul took the I20, gave a short visa, and refuses to explain anything....even down to refusal to answer my question: "is my I20 in the sealed envelope that says 'to be opened by INS official at port of entry ONLY' "" ?

PLEASE HELP.

I will not risk refusal of entry if I do not discover the location of the I20. The consular worker in Buenos Aires says I will need to return to Argentina to reapply for a fall, 2003 visa; but the University says I can stay in the US after the 11 month visa expires and be legal based on the six year I20.

Are these rules written down somewhere? The university does not seem to agree with the State Department (in more ways than one).

Comment

Hi,
      Don't worry about your short visa. Visa is different from status; it's only for entering the United States. So it's okay to have expired visa as long as you're in status (i.e. you're attending school), unless you want to leave the U.S. and re-enter, then you'd need an unexpired visa. In that case, you'd have to go back to your home country or a third country (e.g. Mexico, Canada) to renew your visa. I am not sure why the officer took your I-20 though.. you need it to accompany your student visa to enter the U.S.

Comment

By the way ricrico, which UC are you going to? I am also an F1 student at University of California.

Comment

Your I-20 is in the envelop they gave you and YOU MUST NOT OPEN IT !!!!!!!!! Hand over the envelop to an INS officer at the POE(Port of Entry). Don't know what is port of entry ? The airport you'll land in, or the boat you'll sail in...whatever...

Why are you so panic ? Take it easy... you are supposed to be a Ph.D. candidate in University of California, for crying out loud, so ACT like ONE !!!

It seems to us that you didn't even research all necessary info b4 posting your questions.

So ACT like a Ph.D. candidate !!!

Jj (F1 M.Sc. Comp Sci)

Comment

Thanks Jj,

Since I guess you're well-versed in immigration law as well as expert in language and Comp Sci; how about a referral to where it's written down about I20's in sealed envelopes? All it said on the I20 itself was: "be sure to bring this". I'm not sure why locating the I20 after consular mumbojumbo needs to be a major research topic.

And thanks for the tip on the meaning of "Port of Entry". I must have missed that definition in my ten-year capacity as Language Attaché for my Embassy to Argentina.

RCA

Comment

RCA=ricrico

Comment

To the hineyness of RCA
                (Rotten Candidate A**H**E),

oh yeah, oh yeah...Mr. I-have-a-lot-of-experience, I am sure you'll have a lot of fun in California, and your students will be enjoy taking your classes...oh yeah...god bless your country for producing such a HIGH QUALITY Ph.D. candidate... HA HA HA ^_^

YOU ARE Pathetic, you know ?

Jj

Comment

Psssst Jj, be nice ....

Comment

Thanks again Jj,

For my benefit and others' needing visa information sources: the U.S. State Department has a Visa Services phone number, 202-663-1225, where information might be available from an identifiable source, after 8:30 am Eastern Time. Hope to get some polite proof that the I20 is in the envelope (spelled with three e's).

RCA

Comment

RCA,
                      Check out this website: http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/admissions/...on/f1/out.html

It states that the I-20 is in the sealed envelope returned to you by the embassy. Hope it helps.

Comment

thanks jess, will do

Comment

As previously mentioned, your visa (in your passport) is only to enter the US. At port of entry you will receive an I-94, and on it the INS officer will write D/S (=duration of status). This means that as long as you are going to school full time, you are maintaining your F-1 status. If you need to leave the US after your visa expires and go to your home country for ex, you will need to apply for a new visa. To do this, you will need to request a new I-20 from your school. So to make it as clear as possible, you only need your visa to ENTER the US, not to stay.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation