Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving country with a green card

I am from India. Me and my wife are green card holders since June 2000. My father, back in India, is not doing well and I am thinking of going to India for a min of 6mos to 1 year to be next to him and take care of him. I work for a company which has major presence in India and I am working on a transfer to their facilities there.

we would love to keep our green cards. What do I need to do so that I can maintain my green card status so that we can file for our citizenship in june 2005. Although the directions on the INS web page seem to be clear, they are still not completely clear to us. Is there anyone here who has been in this situation before?. Of course, we plan to come back as soon as the period is over. US is our country and this is our primary residence. I have lived in US for the past 11 years and have paid my fair share of taxes.

Thanks in advance,
    rk

I am from India. Me and my wife are green card holders since June 2000. My father, back in India, is not doing well and I am thinking of going to India for a min of 6mos to 1 year to be next to him and take care of him. I work for a company which has major presence in India and I am working on a transfer to their facilities there.

we would love to keep our green cards. What do I need to do so that I can maintain my green card status so that we can file for our citizenship in june 2005. Although the directions on the INS web page seem to be clear, they are still not completely clear to us. Is there anyone here who has been in this situation before?. Of course, we plan to come back as soon as the period is over. US is our country and this is our primary residence. I have lived in US for the past 11 years and have paid my fair share of taxes.

Thanks in advance,
    rk

Comment

I think there are some rules to how long you need to stay overseas if you don't want to lose your GreenCard, and be eligible for citizenship.
      From what I know, you can't have trips of more than a year if you want to keep your GC, and also to be eligible for citizenship, you can't have trips of at least 6 months or more overseas, and you need to be present in the usa for at least 30 months as phyical presence in the usa. each time you travel for 6 months, you lose your physical presence in the usa,and the 30 months required for citizenship will be lost. I hope this helps, and if I am wrong, plz anyone correct me.tx

Comment

You can apply for Reentry Permit (I-131) before departure. It will allow you to stay out of US for 2 years without losing status of LPR.

Comment

Exactly, you need a Reentry Permit. That way you'd be able to keep the green card and eventually apply for citizenship. American green card and especially American citizenship is a very good thing to have, even if you decide some time later in your life not to live the United States.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation