Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do adjustment of status work

Hi Everyone.....In September I applied for my adjustment of status in Vermont Processing center.
    I had my fingerprints taken in October. I see that vermont is working on September 2001 cases, does that mean that my case will only be looked at when they get to September 2002 (over 1 year) if they go this way. Is my case just sitting and waiting for time to pass ?. Is there any chance of get approval sooner, has anyone filed in vermont and receive responses. Thanks everyone

Hi Everyone.....In September I applied for my adjustment of status in Vermont Processing center.
    I had my fingerprints taken in October. I see that vermont is working on September 2001 cases, does that mean that my case will only be looked at when they get to September 2002 (over 1 year) if they go this way. Is my case just sitting and waiting for time to pass ?. Is there any chance of get approval sooner, has anyone filed in vermont and receive responses. Thanks everyone

Comment

HI Rianna,
      I'm the same shoes as you are and sometimes getting impatient of this matter but one thing I'm telling you there's alot of people who filed before us. 365 to 485 days, they really mean it.

Comment

Sorry folks,

That is exactly what is happening. If it says they are working on Sept 11, 2001 - your application is sitting a very big pile and won't even be looked at for another year and a bit. And then on top of it, it may take a long time after they start working your case before action is taken. I can give you an example from VSC for an I-751 (which is an application to remove temporary conditions on a GC based on marriage).

They are currently working Dec, 2001 with a processing time of Aprox. 365 days. What that means is that someone who filed a year ago are just getting their cases considered and they will have to wait around another year for a decision for a total processing time of OVER 2 yrs for a very basic application.

For reference, what they do when the get your application is to check it for correct signatures, correct payment (which they are real quick at cashing), obvious ommisions or missing documentation. After that is done, it sits and waits and even gets lost sometimes (which means you start ALL over again and get into the back of the line again).

And as far as any magic way of speeding things up - it is not going to happen! There is no way you will be able to 'jump' ahead of others, even of you hired the most expensive lawyer in the country.

You will just have to relax and realize that this is going to be the longest trip of your life. Just for your information, I will give you an idea of my timeline (marriage to a USC).

Married in US July 1999, Filed for GC in Aug 1999.
        Interview held Oct 2000. Temp. GC issued quickly
        I-751 Filed Oct 2002.
        Anticipate next action: July - Oct 2004.

So for a basic, straight forward marriage to a USC, it will take about 5 yrs to get your GC.

And don't even get me started on the number of times I have had to go to the INS due to lenght of time it takes to process an application. What should be able to be handled in one or two visits can easily grow into five or six as you temporary stamps and so on expire and you have to renew because of this backlog... And all of this was before Sept 11. Now it is taking even longer!

Good Luck!

Comment

I meant working on Sept 2001 cases, not Sept 11 cases... Fruedian slip I guess..

Comment

Hey guys, does anyone know how long does it usually take to be notified to go to have fingerprints taken from the point in time you file an AOS? Also, for how long fingerprints are valid; I mean, if you'll not be interviewed say after 6 months you got fingerprinted, do you have to go once again to get the fingerprints taken for a new check?

Comment

"Timelines" -- there's no standard timeline for that -- some people have been told to get their fingerprints taken 3 months after they have filed for AOS, usually about 6-7 months after filing...

Comment

Any experts here?

Comment

Is it about these things that it takes so long to go to the actual interview?

"AOS Application Processing (area of background checks)

- Electronic transmission of applicant fingerprint checks directly to the FBI after verification of applicant's identity by INS personnel;

- Confirmed FBI responses to fingerprint checks and review of criminal record, if applicable, before scheduling an applicant for interview;

- Electronic data exchanges with the FBI and CIA on biographic information;

- Adverse information revealed by FBI or CIA biographic information checks is transmitted to NSU and adjudication of the application withheld until the information is resolved;

- IBIS ("look out") checks on all applications and petitions at the time of filing and again before adjudication if the first check was conducted more than 35 days prior to adjudication; and

- A national Standard Operating Procedure governing all adjustment of status applications and a Quality Assurance program to ensure compliance with the standard procedures."

http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums?a=...123#6856062123

Comment

You bet it is!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources