Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a job offer, now what?

I'm a Canadian, visiting in the US. I located a job and wish to become a permanent resident. They want me to start training on the 5th of Jan. That brings up several immediate questions.

1) Would I be able to start work then?
    2) Would I be better off applying for a Temp Visa first and then applying for permanent status?

The job is with a Call Center, Inbound Tech Support, in Western NC. I am currently staying in KY. With over 3 years experience in that industry, I believe that I would be in a skilled category.

I'm a Canadian, visiting in the US. I located a job and wish to become a permanent resident. They want me to start training on the 5th of Jan. That brings up several immediate questions.

1) Would I be able to start work then?
    2) Would I be better off applying for a Temp Visa first and then applying for permanent status?

The job is with a Call Center, Inbound Tech Support, in Western NC. I am currently staying in KY. With over 3 years experience in that industry, I believe that I would be in a skilled category.

Comment

I can't tell from the facts you provided if you would qualify for either H-1B or TN status, which are two temporary visa categories that would allow you to work in the U.S. You will need to get temporary work authorization before you start working; permanent authorization (i.e., a green card) takes years to complete.

Your employer needs to file the appropriate paperwork to get the temporary visa for you; you cannot file this yourself. You need to talk to your prospective employer, and find out if they have an immigration attorney who will help you through this process, or if the company will let you find your own attorney. If your employer has few immigration issues, they may not have a regular immigration attorney.

Comment

Hi, thanks for answering.

I believe that I would be looking at an H-2B type of visa. It is a skilled type of job without being a professional level. It is with a Call Center that has branches in several contries.

Do you mean a Temporary Work Visa? From what I read, doesn't the employer have to show that it is a one-time, temporary job? They are offering permanent, full-time employment.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation