Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

got H1B1 while in the US -best way to get visa in my passport?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got H1B1 while in the US -best way to get visa in my passport?

I have got my status changed while being in the US - from B1/B2 to H1B1.

All my papers are fine, but I don't have an actual visa in my passport.
    Is there a fast and easy way to get it whitout going back to the country of my residence (I cannot leave my job for that long...)?
    Would Canada work for me? Please advise.

Thank you

I have got my status changed while being in the US - from B1/B2 to H1B1.

All my papers are fine, but I don't have an actual visa in my passport.
    Is there a fast and easy way to get it whitout going back to the country of my residence (I cannot leave my job for that long...)?
    Would Canada work for me? Please advise.

Thank you

Comment

INS have changed the Rules, so you can not get stamp from Canada any more. You need stamp just to travel out of the United States, if you need not travel anywhere in regard to your job then you do not need Stamp on your Passpart. You must keep your Approval letter intact.
      Good luck.

Comment

Umesh Passi, thank you
        >"You need stamp just to travel out of the United States, if you need not travel anywhere in regard to your job then you do not need Stamp on your Passpart.<

This is correct. But my point is that when I need to leave the US for a business trip or vacation - should I only return through my native country (to have an interbiew with the US visa officer and get stampt) or I may come back to the US via any other country with easier rules -- you see, US embassy in my country takes 3 to 4 weeks to process H1B1 visa applications, and I don't have this time...

My lawyer said that I could try any country, but I am still not sure about the way it works.

Thank you

Comment

It is true, you can try at U.S. Consulates in other countries but the risk is if they refused to stamp your Passport then you will have to go to your country and get it stamped there. If you must travel then you must keep complete file of your immigration papers and must have a letter from you company, indicating that you are travelling on business tour, and how valuable you are to the Company etc.
          Good luck.

Comment

If you're not planning to travel for 6 to 8 weeks, you may want to have your visa revalidated through the Department of State. Go to the DOS website (www.state.gov), look for the Visas section and follow the link. Generally, you'll have to send a fee for the visa, the original approval notice, your original passport, a completed DS-156 (with your picture) and a completed DS-157 (if you're a male). This is done through the visa office of the Dept. of State in St. Louis, MO.

Comment

AFAIK, the visa revalidation only works if you previously have the same type visa issued to you in your passport, and it can't be expired for more than 1 year. I don't think it'll work for him because his original visa in the passport is B1/B2 instead of H1-B

Comment

To ImmiParalegal:

Is that true what "guestuser" said? Would the method suggested by you work only if I apply for the same type of visa that I had before (or still have)?
                IN general it sounds more like a renewal of existing visa.
                Please explain, if you would.
                Thank you.

(checking the web site that you suggested, thanks)

Comment

City - that's what "renewal" means - to get another of the same kind. If your current approval notice is the only one you've ever received, then you can't get your visa from Washington.

As to the original posting, you can go to Canada, but you won't be able to come back if you are refused. My advice is to wait until you need to leave the US for some reason and then decide based on where you will be going. It may be more difficult to get your visa at your destination than in your home country, or it may be easier. If your destination is not an easy place from which to receive a visa and also not near your home country, fly out through Canada and try there first.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation