I-751 and divorce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyhow to get back to my orginal question.... I was under the impression to file for naturalization under the married for 3 years situation you had to be living with your partner?? It says so on the application form, or am I wrong?

I do think that they are about to make a decision on my case, but does anyone know when they say 2 years is it really 2 years or longer? I have to leave the country for a week in May so if I don't hear before the end of Apl how can I do this? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Chandra,

To answer your original question that you posted in the begining, I would strongly suggest you stay married(unless you are being abused), just to avoid the immigration stress.

As it is, people who are married happily, and with kids, still have lot of stress going thru the I-751 process, why add more stress to it by filing for divorce ?

As long as you have your GC or GC extension papers, you will be ok for travel.

But I personally, would not travel untill my I-751 is processed completely. I submitted my I-751 in 2003 Feb. Got an extension upto may 10 2004. Have not heard from INS yet.

Comment

Hi chandra,

Sorry about your case... its 2 yrs but you have to be married until you get GC in your hand...that's how it is...I would not recommend you for divorce if its not that serious or un repairable .... Yeah for naturalization u have to married to the same spouse if u want to go for 3yrs ...otherwise you go for it at 5yrs – 90 days .... Good luck...

Hi AK ...

I m doing good.... How r u? thanks but I cant be moderator .... Jo is the best choice for that .... And I wont be on this site for long .... I meant wont be able to take part like I am doing right now....

Comment

Pasha, what do you mean U wont be able to take part here very long ?

HAve you started practice ?

Comment

Hi AK,

After march ( starting of April) I will be doing lot of stuff and then in June ... I will start my PGY1 .... So wont be able to come and post that frequently like I m doing right now .... But I m glad I made lots of friends like you here .... And I always have good time on this board....Pasha

Comment

what is pgy1 ? is it Post graduate year one ?

Comment

yep AK ...that's correct

Comment

Have a nice talk with your husband and since you are in your final steps for the GC ask him to hold on the divorce until the GC arrives. Its important to be honest and if you both are able to communicate this way then it should not be a problem.
                  Best is to talk to him.

Comment

Wish:

Bonitinha cheia de paixao, porque vc nao me escreveu?

aguila@britishexpats.com

Comment

Are you back again Aguila? I thought you were up "steaming" up Swissnut? Got tired of riding the train did ya? Does that mean we have to listen to you two losers go on and on about divorce and i751s again???

Comment

irritated2:

I am very dissapointed with you.

First of all, I am not a loser, and who are you to determine that? A 'winner'?

I am not even take the time to reply back to you as SAMMY did but please refrain yourself from attacking people.

I am here to help people with I-751's issues since I am grateful to all the people that helped me in the past.

Easy ok?

Comment

Do you know what month they are up to...I heard that people applying for AOS in Dec 2001 are now being called for the AOS interview??

Susan
                          Originally posted by Chandra:

Sorry I think I confused everyone, I applied for I-751 in Apl 2001 not 2002, when I went to the Boston office (Dec '03) they said my case was currently being reviewed, which makes sense as it's at the 2 year mark. I have not as yet filed for divorce so the likelyhood is that I will hear back from BCIS before the divorce is final, I'm just wondering if filing before I get notification of the I-751 will matter? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Susanc:

You should be placing referrals to your case through the USCIS 1-800 number, they should have process your case long time already, since they are currently doing I-751's from 7/1/02 at VSC.

If you filed for divorce before the JOINT I-751 gets approved it does not matter, by why would you?

If divorce is FINAL before decision on JOINT I-751 then you must submit another I-751 but this time with a WAIVER provision CHECKED!

Comment

We're not divorcing...we're just waiting for the AOS. He applied in 2001July...should we have heard by now?...According to my congressman's office, they are estimating 3 yrs!..or more
                              Originally posted by Aguila:

Susanc:

You should be placing referrals to your case through the USCIS 1-800 number, they should have process your case long time already, since they are currently doing I-751's from 7/1/02 at VSC.

If you filed for divorce before the JOINT I-751 gets approved it does not matter, by why would you?

If divorce is FINAL before decision on JOINT I-751 then you must submit another I-751 but this time with a WAIVER provision CHECKED!

Comment

Susanc:

Which one is your local USCIS office?

You should be more clear in your posts, you are waiting for AOS and that has nothing to with I-751 for now, and if you have been waiting for that long I-751 will not apply to you but if you are divorced before AOS it will be denied... also your husband must attend this interview with you there are not if and buts on this situation.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation