Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-751 and divorce

Can anyone help me? I filed a I-751 in Apl 2002, (Vermont service center UGH!) whilst still happily living with my husband. However in July 2003 we decided to seperate, due to some mental issues that he has, not lack of love. I haven't heard anything since an addtional 1 year extension to take me to Apl 2004. But now we have decided to get divoced. He is happy to attend the interview with me, but if we file for divorce how will this affect the removal of the conditional status of my green card? Also I was told in Dec 2003 that my case was actally being looked at, but still have no word, does anyone have any idea what the time frame is to hear something from Vermont?

Can anyone help me? I filed a I-751 in Apl 2002, (Vermont service center UGH!) whilst still happily living with my husband. However in July 2003 we decided to seperate, due to some mental issues that he has, not lack of love. I haven't heard anything since an addtional 1 year extension to take me to Apl 2004. But now we have decided to get divoced. He is happy to attend the interview with me, but if we file for divorce how will this affect the removal of the conditional status of my green card? Also I was told in Dec 2003 that my case was actally being looked at, but still have no word, does anyone have any idea what the time frame is to hear something from Vermont?

Comment

This is an epedemic ! There are like a billion posts like this. Have you people ever tried doing a search ? Stay married; the grass isnt always greener. If you are too dumb to take that advice, chances are you wont listen to anything else either. If you don't want to be married to him, then go home.

Comment

The time frame from VSC is 2 years

Comment

Chandra:

There is plenty of information on the board relating to divorce while I751 is pending, I suggest you reading them all thoroughly.

If you have all of the evidence which goes to "bona fides of marriage" and your divorce is final before your "jointly-filed" I751 is adjudicated, Aguila has posted the course you would then have to take in order to purse the permanent resident Green Card. You should perform a search with his name as the author to consult the information he has provided.

Bear in mind, however, that your husband's willingness to participate with you at an adjudication interview, should there be one, may wane in the interim. You should be prepared for the possibility of a change of heart.

What concerns me is that you state that your case is being reviewed. Care to share with us why and how you were apprised?

Comment

Sorry I think I confused everyone, I applied for I-751 in Apl 2001 not 2002, when I went to the Boston office (Dec '03) they said my case was currently being reviewed, which makes sense as it's at the 2 year mark. I have not as yet filed for divorce so the likelyhood is that I will hear back from BCIS before the divorce is final, I'm just wondering if filing before I get notification of the I-751 will matter? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Based upon the timeline you have provided, it appears that when you wrote that your petition was being reviewed, that perhaps that meant that your petition was being processed - and that would suggest, to me, anyway, that adjudication is imminent.

Though I personally do not recommend this as an option, given the hazards of divorce at such a point in the process, if you have not yet filed and you are the party keen on dissolving the marriage then delaying may be in your best interest.

Comment

Swiss,

I thought we had an agreement that you were going to take some time to contemplate your situation? No more advising, remember? Or have your elephant ears shrunk and you've forgotten what you said?

Comment

Chandra

Why didnt you apply for naturalization in that interim?? You could have been close to being a citizen now. Maybe you could hold off on that divorce until u get citizenship.

Just remember as long as you just have greencard you can be subject for removal.

Just a thought.

Comment

Nice try...no cigar.

Comment

What will it take to convince you Swiss?

I know your real name. Would that be proof?

Comment

More than that..it is posted on this forum. Try another if you dare.

Comment

You cell phone #?

Comment

"you cell phone #?"

Nope, tell me something important!

Comment

There's no way for anyone to know your cell phone # unless it was the real irri.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation