Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship through a Parent

I just found out that my grandfather was born in the US. I would like to migrate to the US. However my grandfather has passed away, but my mother is trying to find out if his citizenship can help her migrate to the us then she can help me. My mother is well over 18, does any of this mean anything.

Question 2 of the FAQ at http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/se...tz/English.pdf
    may provide you with some useful information.

Comment

I don't think this is possible as the USC has to file a I-130 on your behalf which he obviously can't.

Also someone (your grandfather) has to be financially liable for you which is impossible too.

Comment

According to the site marc has posted, one is, in many cases, a US citizen if ALL of the followings are true:

1. One of the parents was USC when the child was born.

2. The citizen lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years before the child was born.

3. At least 2 of the 5 years were after the USC parent's 14th birthday.

Comment

The U.S. constitution was founded, as far as citizenship is concern, under the principle of "Jus Soli". It means, the children of a natural born U.S. citizen follow the citizenship of the parents and there were jurisprudence to that effect. Your mother and you, are U.S. citizens but you need to prove it because of the fact that you were foriegn born.

I know of one who was not able to come to the U.S. inspite of the fact that his last name is Click because his American grandfather died with out leaving any paper trail.

Good hunting and good luck.

Comment

The U.S. constitution was founded, as far as citizenship is concern, under the principle of "Jus Soli". It means, the children of a natural born U.S. citizen follow the citizenship of the parents whereever they were born and there were jurisprudence to that effect. Your mother and you, are U.S. citizens but you need to prove it because of the fact that you were foriegn born.

I know of one who was not able to come to the U.S. inspite of the fact that his last name is Click because his American grandfather died with out leaving any paper trail.

Good hunting and good luck.

Comment

Not quite. Her mother might be considered as a citizen, but not netta. She doesn't meet the last two requirement.

Comment

unless her father is also a citizen and has lived in the U.S. for some time.

Comment

I stand corrected. But netta has a chance to be a U.S. citizen thru the naturalization process (N-400)

Comment

You're right. The requirements are for determining citizenship by birth (which is different from one through naturalization). I didn't think about that. Thank you for the clarification!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation