Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED YOUR OPINION

I have a question to anybody who knows about this.
    If you have a single CIMT with a maximum possible sentence of 6 months, but the person was not sentenced to anything, however plead guilty and the charge was dismissed and then expunged, what are the consequences? What if the person is a conditional resident/ How will it affect the application to remove conditions?

Help is greatly appreciated.

I have a question to anybody who knows about this.
    If you have a single CIMT with a maximum possible sentence of 6 months, but the person was not sentenced to anything, however plead guilty and the charge was dismissed and then expunged, what are the consequences? What if the person is a conditional resident/ How will it affect the application to remove conditions?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

The person should get Certificate of Disposition from the court to show it to the INS about outcome of the case.
      Good luck.

Comment

Thank you, Umesh. i just do not know how the whole situation may work out, or not work out?

Comment

Please respond

Comment

Certificate of Disposition is a proof about the disposal of the case. What had happened in that case. Whether you pleaded guilty to a misdeamenor or a violation. This will help you a lot to explain whole situation to the INS Officer. Moreover, after looking at Certificate of Disposition an Immigration Attorney can better guide you in your case.
            Good luck.

Comment

is you Mohan

Comment

No, I am not Mohan. My name is Umesh Passi.

Comment

I know that I can show everything to the attorney, however, I wanted to first ask anybody on te board about their opinion, may be somebody had some similar experince, or know cases like this.

Comment

Can anybody help with this, or not?

Comment

CMIT charges are dismissed. you will not have any problem. you have to inform INS regarding CMIT.
                      IF the Six month is max term for this CMIT then No problem , if its 6-12 month then its adifferent story.
                      Dismissal, expunged, will not have any porblem.

Comment

Mohan, thank you so much. You are always so helpful. I wanted to ask you one more question, if the person pleaded guilty and then the charges were dissmissed through diversion, is it s big problem?

Comment

Yes it might.. Then it will be counted for full 6 month term which fell between 6-12 month term( even its not imposed).
                          Also it depends upon thenature of crime, Some of the nature of crimes are treated minor.

Comment

I do not understand what you mean by 6-12 months. Some crimes are punished by maximum 6 months, and some by 12 months. For this shoplifting violation the maximum possible sentence can be 6 months and day more? Can you clarify your previous message, please.

Comment

what I wanted to say 6 months and no a single day more

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation