A nonimmigrant visa (or temporary visa) is any visa that is not an immigrant visa (green card). Typical nonimmigrant visas include the H-1B, B-1/B-2, L-1, and F-1. If you click on the links, you will find details of each of these visa types.

For foreign nationals who are overseas, the process calls for a filing by the immigration attorney here in the US with the USCIS. Once approved, the USCIS issues an I-797, Notice of Action (Approval Notice). The chosen Consulate or Embassy is then notified of the approval and the Beneficiary makes an application with the Consulate or Embassy.

The applicant must complete a DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. The DS-160 is a confusing Application for some. The US Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica has produced a very helpful Slide Show to assist applicants. MU Law invites our clients and friends to review this before completing the DS-160.

Read the full Healthcare and Immigration Law Blog at www.musillo.com or www.ilw.com